Hi guys, I've been sent to a job doing sewer and underground works. I've got a Hitachi zx225 on site and currently running 6" drain line through the crossover. We are in shields around 3m deep at this point. 10 bannas I reckon. We have to keep access for trucks open, but it's tricky trying to get even compaction as we go. Any ideas? I also have to dodge a powder pole. I'm trying to get 6m lengths in currently, maybe we should short pipe it for a bit?
OK we need some explanation of the jargon P85. What's 10 bannas? 10 bananas? Any pics? What are you backfilling with? Stone, excavated soil? Are you keeping access open for your trucks or truck traffic?
you may have to hire a pole truck to hold the pole if you get too close. https://www.truelinepower.com/services/pole-holding-and-safety/#:~:text=If%20you're%20excavating%20near,can%20cause%20them%20to%20fall. Even if you get a pole truck to hold it, you need to stay away from below the bottom of it at a 45 degree angle. The worst thing is to undermine the pole, the second worst is to take too much dirt from too close and have it pull over.
Yep - been there, done that. Running 36" RCP storm drain. Put 3 joints in and backfilled while the derrick held the pole. Power came out and held it no charge.
yup. I kinda picked up on what the OP was talking about, it sounds a little 3rd world-ish and wild wild west to me. Pole trucks are wonderful things when you need them. I ran one but never used the grabber, when putting up traffic signals and street lighting. It was mostly the crane feature and the auger.
Flowable fill. Usually one sack sand slurry or equivalent. Depends upon local code and the entity you are working for. More expensive than the native you're trying to compact, but the time savings makes up for it. If you're in the street, you can patch pave the next day be done with it.
Flowable fill works great. We used to use it a lot. Now, here anyway, the cost went through the roof so its a only as a last resort option. Back in the day though, we used that stuff all the time.
Thanks for the replies guys. Got enough backfilled to keep some site access open while we keep going. Civil guys are on site doing their thing. We are backfilling with crushed rock under the concrete, native in landscape areas after pipe is bedded. Using a remote trench roller to compact. Haven't run one until now, kinda neat. I've got 3 lengths left to get in until we change direction. Will backfill the rest in one shot i think. Doing around 2ft lifts. Pole is for temporary site power during construction. Looks like I'm going to have to dig as close to it as I can, then hopefully continue the trench from the other side.
We do a lot of water and sewer, well not me, I just get ready for paving after. They had a couple pole holders made. A 6 foot by 6 foot, by 2 feet thick concrete block with a steel contraption on top, like an H beam at a 45 angle. Set it on a pad next to the pole, and chain the pole to the bracket of the H beam, anyway, worked so good, they made another. Used the for years until last summer. Government inspector looked at one, took pictures, sent it to the power company. Do not put those things anywhere near our poles. Ended up having to hire a truck to hold the 6 poles we had to dig past something like $3000.00 a day. Yes CM1995 I swear one day to get a phone with a camera. They took the roll off deck off the truck and are going to shorten the frame and put a regular gravel box on it. But knowing them, the roll off it self will sit in the yard, and I might be able to get a photo.
Sent that Bomag in the pic above to auction last year. Now have 2 Wacker trench rollers, gotta have 2 in order to keep one running. At least in our experience the Bomags hit harder but parts are a PITA to get. The Wackers don't hit as hard but parts are easier to find. Trench rollers are handy as a shirt pocket and frustrating as hell to keep running.
I think the one we have is a wacker. Got the bloke in the water cart to proof roll access yesterday. I was happy his steers didn't sink.. About 30t on the water cart.
Maybe I should short pipe it a bit to get past the pole? I'm still trying to keep the line "straight". Like a gun barrell. Hard to do when backfilling as you go. This machine has a blade on it. I tangled with the fence getting off my dig line yesterday...
Any pics?
Don’t forget to find the ground rods and wire at the temporary service pole.
It would not make any difference IMO. You still have a trench slot open near the pole, no matter how long or short you cut the pipe.
Bit of an update guys. Managed to work out the trench roller and confident we are getting good compaction. Civil guys will hopefully show us good results. I ended up coming in tight to the pole each way to dig enough to get the machine past it with minimal damage. Fun bit.. Today we were getting close enough to pre installed water feed into the lot, had to scale off plans and try to make an educated guess of location. First attempt was off. Second time found it. Don't listen to the boss when he says it will have tape, just have a scrape. Found the street hydrant point that was installed after sluice valve. Nobody told me that was there. I'm asking more questions before doing after this one.. Now I know. Not using 20 digger near live water any more. No harm no foul yeah?