Hi. I used to work for Astoria Plywood Mill for many years until fall of 1991.:Banghead Between DEQ & the so-called spotted owl we didn't have a chance in hell.:cussing I remember those 6 ft. firs on the log deck ready to be peeled!:woohoo Just wondering how many plywood mills are running in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California & Canada? And also if we could hear from some of these plywood mill workers? Thanks in advance!!!:notworthy:notworthy
Potlatch still has a plywood mill in St. Maries, ID. There are a few still around yet.
Looks as though there several still running in the Aberdeen, WA area, including Hoquiam Plywood, which I believe has been in business for many years.
HI. Do you know if the mill in Aberdeen, WA & the one in Hoquiam, if they are privately owned or co-op owned? I remember one plywood mill in Aberdeen, WA shut down in '90 or '91- if I remember right? Could be wrong, though... Thanks!
Might want to try Google. I was born in Aberdeen. Used to skate at the Harborena. Lived right behind Mr. Ira Blackwell, a logging legend, in Central Park. Rumor has it that his dad, Cy Blackwell, brought the first Dolbeer donkey to the Harbor. Others claim it was Polson.
Possibly a FINN...:stirthepot
As I recall there is a veneer plant out at Matlock and maybe the plant in the Cosmopolis yard is still running but most of the rest have shut down for plywood. The Yakima mill is completely gone. The mill at Omak was shut down by the tribe several years ago. I heard a rumor that it might start back up again. I don't know about any in Port Angeles anymore either. I can't think of any in the Tacoma, Seattle or Everett areas either. Particle board and OSB pretty much took over the building trades a few years ago.
Think I've seen more trucks loaded with veneer for plywood than lumber when driving through Oregon couple of weeks ago. Roseburg Forest Products have plants in Dillard, Coquille and Riddle producing over a billion sq ft (3/8) softwood plywood annually.
Just saw a load of veneer heading out of Nanaimo yesterday. First one I've seen in a very long time. Maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough. d.d.
:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Hi! Here is link for video on Pope & Talbot Plywood Mill in 1976 at Kalama, Washington. Hope everybody enjoys it. It was a smaller mill than the one I worked at(Astoria Plywood) which was sister mill to Linton Plywood Corp. Thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRP7MpyJeU
Veneer from Coastland in Nanaimo The Coastland mill in Nanaimo produces veneer which is primarily exported to the US for paralam production. They are running two machines and have just purchased a third from Japan to be placed in between the two existing lines. Around here, there are ships in theharbour loading logs for export, mainly Asia now. We can buy it all back at Walmart. For some years, many loads went to support mills in the NW and the ones here were demolished. Thanks Weyerhauser. Juskatla
My father retired from Weyco after 39 years, and was an honorable man. He worked with many other fine gents. Years ago, the leadership of Weyco was also honorable, for the most part. Nowadays, they're a bunch of pigs. When they raped Mac Blo, they ruined a lot of lives. I'm sure they affected others in that area the same way. Weyco started to circle the drain when, instead of continuing to promote from the bottom up, they started bringing in the stinking MBAs. They deserve to go broke.
Harbor Plywood Company in Hoquiam, Washington Hi! I found video on Harbor Plywood Company in Hoquiam, Washington. Video was made in 1926. This was the old-school way of doing it! The video is old & is long. Please bare with it... It is a good video on how it was done back then!!! Thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrisN16mJX0 :notworthy
We ship logs here often. http://www.frereslumber.com/
Thanks, Scott S. Looks like they have grown & diversified! I guess thats the name of the game to stay a float in these tough times...
As it happens, one of our yarders supplies an LVL plant in the lower North Island of NZ. The vast majority of what the mill produces gets exported to Japan.
There is ex-Simpson Olympic Plywood in Shelton WA, used to be a plant in McCleary WA as well. I worked in the Shelton plant in the early '80s, last I checked it was still there.