Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PN for Cat lift Steer cylinder

Tony Wells ยท 2020-12-06 18:56

Got a CAT forklift in the shop that someone removed the steering cylinder from for reason or reasons unknown. The likely culprit has moved on to greener pastures so I can't ask him what, why, or where. I've got to track down the replacement for it. I really don't care for dealing with my local dealer, so I was hoping someone could give me the part number for it so I can track one down. Some general searching tends to show a commonality with a Mitsubishi built unit. This is a GP40 gasoline lift SN AT29A-00201 Anyone have a parts lookup on it? TIA, TW

Replies28
  1. #1Cmark2020-12-06 22:10

    Forklifts aren't included in the information most of us have access to in the Cat heavy equipment world.

  2. #2Tony Wells2020-12-06 22:37

    Cmark, that's kinda what I'm discovering. I was just hoping.

  3. #3TD242020-12-06 22:54

    Google "forklift dismantlers". Atlanta Lift Truck salvage would be a good start start. Hader industries in New Berlin WI rebuilds cylinders. Might sell you a rebuilt one outright if you have the mounting still. A shot, may help.

  4. #4lantraxco2020-12-06 23:22

    Yep, especially since I believe all the newer CAT lifts are actually Mitsubishis in yellow paint?

  5. #5Tony Wells2020-12-06 23:29

    lantraxco, that appears to be the case, and Mitsu went with a Chevy engine.....go figure. TD24, I don't have the original, so I'm stuck buying either new, used, or rebuilt outright. I'll give them a try. Thanks! But then, I don't have the knuckle either, so I'm not sure where to look for that. We have a couple of lift service companies here locally, but they are pretty proud of their work and parts. I'd rather not have to go through them.

  6. #6Nige2020-12-07 10:16

    As you said "steering cylinder" (singular) does it only have the one cylinder..? Let me ask if anyone at my local dealer has access to forklift info. Don't get your hopes up but we might just get lucky. At least if it gets you a Part Number for the steering cylinder you can look online at places like Machinery Trader.

  7. #7BillG2020-12-07 10:33

    The part number is 91854-65300, or in many instances just 91854 or CT91854.

  8. #8TD242020-12-07 11:29

    You are trying to find a used wholesaler that is/will part out the items you need. There are dozens of them; like Atlanta Lift Trucks, but I sold out in 1992 and am out of active contacts. I will try to get a source to contact a dealer and get us a parts book screen shot of the portion we are seeking, cyl and its hookups. Be a while tho.

  9. #9TD242020-12-07 11:36

    Is it possible for you to get a picture of the area of the steer axle under the truck so we my get a feel for our complete needs?

  10. #10Tony Wells2020-12-07 11:51

    Nige, yes it only has a single cylinder, oriented perpendicular to the axle. It resides next to the left side frame. Knuckle mount is forward, tie rod connection faces the rear. ID threaded tube connection to the steering axle. Pics later if I can get over there. Thank you, BillG, that should help. TD24 that would be great. I'll try to get a pic or two. It's not where I have to be first today, but I should get over there. Putting a pump back on a Wildcat windrow turner today. This is in our firewood processing building and they are just getting going for the season. When palletized, the split wood needs to be moved around and staged. At the moment, they are using a telehandler, but that's pretty awkward and will get worse as stock piles up. I've got a little time on this, as I believe there is another running lift available for now.

  11. #11Tony Wells2020-12-07 18:55

    Some pics to amuse:

  12. #12Tony Wells2020-12-07 18:56

    One more, since 4 is the limit per post.

  13. #13Tony Wells2020-12-07 19:16

    Using 91854-65300 as a search term, I find quite a few cylinders. But in the poached pic below, I see no mount for the forward end of the cylinder. However, a similar cylinder from the same source looks more like I would expect the correct to look like. "Correct cylinder" "Similar cylinder" Naturally, I have no data on the bore size, rod diameter, length, or thread that is required, since the original cylinder is AWOL. Hard to make any guess on what I need to buy. Still shopping.

  14. #14TD242020-12-07 20:30

    Pics informative. I have some lines out, hopefully for a parts book break down pic to be more revealing. Be late tomorrow at best. Off topic: Firewood, in Tyler ?? You cutting the pecan orchards or ravishing the beautiful rose garden block?

  15. #15Tony Wells2020-12-07 21:06

    Oh no.....neither. We have a deal for 150 log haul trucks out of the Marshall - Carthage area. Apparently some of the loggers bring in material unsuited for much. It's too small for the lumber mills to be interested in, too small for telephone poles, etc, and since it's not pine, the pulp mills don't want it. Some of this has been stacking up at this mill so long they are desperate to get rid of it. We've made a pretty good deal on it, so will have more than enough to make the season. I think there is a deal with a large grocer chain to have smaller bundles out front (I'm sure you've seen them), plus a couple of other outlets for 1/2 cord pallets. We will be running two cut-to-length saw combination splitters probably around the clock until mid to late Jan, possibly into Feb, depending on demand. They run fast, take two men each. Well three really if you could the guy loading the logs. One guy on the saw/splitter and another unloading the conveyor and stacking the pallets. I will say that the pecan wood here is much desired for people who run smokers, so if we were to get some, it would sell well. But on the scale we want to operate, I don't think it's in the works. You have to understand that Tyler really is on the very fringe of the Deep Piney Woods where the real timber is. We just get the leavings. Our entire mulch/compost business comes from mostly all the lawn care and tree service guys in the area. It's amazing that there is so much material available locally. In fact, there is another company that sort of is our competitor. And there is enough for both (although I'd like them to drop out of the picture). We do slightly different things, with our focus on recycling biomatter into a saleable product that keeps it out of the landfill and keeps people from just burning it. We're also teamed up with a national supplier to the wholesale and retail markets for bagged mulch and compost. We get all sorts of "green credits" for the approach we take. Overall, I have to credit my old friend with a great idea, and his ability to assemble a team to pull it off.

  16. #16TD242020-12-07 21:19

    Was joking. Had family in Round Rock long time and thru Tyler a lot. Beautiful Rose Garden there. Got to going down 79 thru Henderson later on. Pecan country down thru there. 712 miles from Tupelo, MS to Round Rock. Made it 3 or 4 time a year till they moved to KY. Now 452 to there.

  17. #17Tony Wells2020-12-07 21:33

    Agreed, the Municipal Rose Garden is a popular attraction and the tourists come from all over for the Rose Festival. I think they claim over 10 thousand varieties in the Rose Garden. It's something to see all right. The festival is something the upper socialites take very seriously every year and spend beaucoup bucks on the parade and all the pageantry. Some pretty rich girl is a Queen and has her consorts and ladies in waiting and all that. Something the rich snobs keep going. I can't remember the numbers, but an astounding amount of roses and rose bushes are raised here. One claim Tyler has is "Rose Capital of the World", a title some other cities also claim. But I think the crops and and exports make it valid, as the other cities focus on growing it for shows and display, not so much for the commercial aspect. We do have a lot of Pecan also (state nut I believe), as well as peanuts of all things.

  18. #18TD242020-12-10 15:54

    No reply on my inquiry's so far. lets give it till Monday to see. Virus and holiday prep cramping everybody's usual style.

  19. #19Nige2020-12-10 16:09

    I've got feelers out at my local dealer also. Gave them all the details supplied by Tony, BillG, & TD24. Still waiting for an answer.

  20. #20Tony Wells2020-12-11 03:10

    Sure appreciate the help, guys.

  21. #21Tony Wells2020-12-11 03:46

    Well, I have finally found this: https://www.machinerytrader.com/parts/550093547879/new-91854-65300-mitsubishi But with no picture, I can't be certain about the forward mount. All the other pics I have seen appear to just have a flat cap end on the forward end. No "tie rod" style mount. I'll give these guys a call and see what they have. Since I have a machine shop, I'm sure I could fabricate a cap that fits over the end of whatever cylinder I find if it has a blank, flat cap. With a proper knuckle, I can thread a hold in a piece of stock, use a jam nut to hold it in place, and bore the cap I make to fit over the end of the cylinder and weld it in place if I have to. Just seems odd that what pics I find don't show a tie rod mount. I'm a little puzzled by that. I know that the pics online aren't always representative of the actual product, hence the phone call.

  22. #22Tony Wells2020-12-12 11:32

    Well I finally spoke to the right person to get a lead on what happened to the original cylinder. I can only hope that this person is able to recall what he did with the cylinder and where it is now, and why he pulled it. It seems there is a mechanic who does maintenance work for the company owner at another facility and after chatting with the owner, he seemed to recall this individual working on this particular lift. So, when I reach him I may find out the rest of the story. The owner told me to hold up replacing it until I could sort out the possibilities with this other guy. I really have a distaste for people who start in on a job and then just walk away, not even leaving the bits and pieces for the next guy. I understand having to juggle priorities and get off of one project to do something else. I do the myself, but only keep the parts and hardware myself if I'm sure it is only for a short time, and always LOTO the machine with notes that might help if I can't/don't get back to it in a timely fashion. News flash: Just got a phone call from the owner. The other mechanic does have the cylinder, and plans on coming in Monday AM and reinstalling it. If he intended to repack it, I hope that he has done so. Apparently it was leaking, so if it's fixed I won't need to do anything. So we can call the dogs in and end the hunt. I sure appreciate the help I get from all you guys here. I respect the experience and knowledge that is so freely offered here and very glad that I found this forum. It has been very valuable and a great help to me. I've always been a mechanic of some sort (worked 2 jobs for many years but had no life and probably contributed to the loss of my first wife), but mainly a machinist who doesn't mind working on just about anything. You guys are helping me build a deeper appreciation and gain better understanding of equipment I have run over the years, mostly casually, but lately been asked to troubleshoot and repair. Besides, I love a challenge. Mere words can't really convey what that means to me. I wish I could sit and visit with you guys, buy you all a brew or two, those who imbibe at least. At some point, some of the things I know about will come up and my area of knowledge will be needed and any help I can give will be happily given.

  23. #23TD242020-12-13 20:31

    Great news. Proper and free !!!!!. Install and try to be sure of needs, then pull back out and get a rebuilder on it. A pic of it under there would a plus. Just to see what we were seeking.

  24. #24Tony Wells2020-12-14 01:22

    Yep, the price it right, and the promised delivery sounds good too! TD24, I'll do my best. I'm supposed to be 3 places in the morning (so far). I have the Cat up on blocks, so getting under it will be much easier, something the other guy should appreciate, and I doubt he will take it down. So if that's the case, I should be able to get some good pics of the undercarriage showing that cylinder. If it still needs service, pictures will be easy. I'll get a call in to him to see when he plans on being there. I really hope he's already had it serviced, but will do whatever is needed. However, I do have a Ford TW-35 parked awfully close to it. Had to replace the exhaust manifold, pipe, and muffler on it and just got as far as the muffler before discovering I had the wrong one. OE has the secondary inlet that I believe is designed to draw some particulate from the primary intake filter housing. Naturally, the main inlet is offset on the OE because of this, and my replacement is a single, center inlet style. Adapt or swap (2 weeks). I can start and move that 6 wheel tractor if it's in the way. I just need to cram the old muffler back on. Or push it. I'm not short on machines to push things around. It's always something! And it's going to be right about freezing in the morning, early anyway. And possibly raining/sleeting.

  25. #25Tony Wells2020-12-14 21:49

    Well, my cylinder mechanic was a no-show, so no progress on that one. Whenever he shows up, I'll get the pics up. But he did get the cylinder serviced, so one less task on the list. Got a new one though. I'll make a thread for it though. 3508 Engine issue, minor. Hogzilla.

  26. #26Nige2020-12-17 08:33

    If all other options go t1ts-up I hope this attachment will work. At least it has all the part Numbers on it.

  27. #27Tony Wells2020-12-17 21:05

    Nige, the cylinder has been reinstalled, but the lift doesn't run. It's still on blocks so I hope to get some pics of it, although what you have is better. I still may need those part numbers. The cylinder is in, but I don't know that it's functional and not leaking. I appreciate it. I'll know what to order if it got "rigged" in place. It happens a lot here.

  28. #28Tony Wells2020-12-23 01:13

    OK, finally had a chance to grab a pic of the cylinder, as installed. Please forgive the dirt, grit, grime and nasty underside. It needs a bath, like many (all??) of the machines that we work on. As this project stands, the guy who had the cylinder appears to have taken over the rest of "getting it running". I had to put a new ign switch on, but he says the ign coil and pickup are bad, along with some burned wiring. I'll happily refocus my efforts to other things. We just brought in a Link Belt HC 108C Truck crane. When I got to the shop from a call-out, they had it sliding on timbers off the trailer until a couple of major lugs hung up on the trailer frame. Only about 3" or so, but the machine weighs around 82,000 lbs, and our better Terex crane is on a job somewhere, so it was a tricky ride to use tire pressure, and two Doosan trackhoes (225's that couldn't lift it enough to block it higher) and lots of timbers to get it off the trailer. I was going to video the event, but ended up behind the wheel as it finally was dragged/rolled off. It's very topheavy and it was a bit nerve-wracking. I did get a couple of vids of failed attempts. May post them sometime. I thought the insurance man/widows would be interested. All of this right under some power lines. Sometimes I wonder about my cohorts.