La police dept needs someone to do some minor repair to a truck. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/07/01/los-angeles-fireworks-explosion/
Somehow I doubt safe and sane were the brand of fireworks. To be that destructive-tampered with.
I've worked with explosives in a coal mine that weren't that touchy. The call to the insurance company must have been interesting. Police Captain, We have had a miss hap with one of our trucks. Is explosive detonation a named peril in the policy? Insurance Agent, How bad is the damage? Police Captain, We believe we found most of the pieces.
100%. You can set fire to most of them and all you'll get is a headache from the fumes. Or drop them off a cliff and still they won't go bang. Detonators are a whole different story though ...........
It'll buff out
From what I gathered was they confiscated 5000 lbs of fireworks that got hauled away and were destroying the homemade stuff in the truck because they didn't want to risk hauling them. I wonder if the guy that made them got to see it and if he knew they were that powerful!
People and their fascination with things that go boom. Blowing things up, tearing things up, shooting things up takes zero talent and is easy. People should put that energy to good use and create things that cause others to think. my 2 cents.
I remember doing a mine supervisor ticket way back in a state that shall remain nameless to protect the innocent. I clearly remember this regulation regarding explosive magazines - “there shall be warning signs placed at a distance of 50ft from the magazine. Signs shall be oriented in such a manner such that a bullet passing through the sign at a right angle shall not impact the magazine.” I still chuckle about that one.....
I will never understand some peoples fascination with shooting signs. I'd argue anything over 500 yards takes a little talent.
Target shooting is one thing shooting just to blow holes in any object is entirely silly. I use to take of a customers car that was a music professor at CWU. He was a interesting fellow-9 time top small bore rifle champ U.S.A. . Also anthropology professor Marco Bicchieri as a young man studied under Louis Leakey, Marco was also a real big game hunting guide in Africa-His favorite a .458. My ex father in law back in the late 50's through 1975 was one of the top trap shooters in the world, ex wife was a excellent combat target shooter-her favorite 10MM. People like those have talent and shoot for a reason.
Trying to come up with a smart-ass comment about those two exes!
Remember when a Driller/blaster guy of the road crew had a "cap box", its about the size of large lunch kit, made of steel and lined with wood inside and lockable, this guy didn't have the key so shaking the box presumed it was empty and cut the lock out with a torch in the shop, when he opened it it was so packed with caps/detonators now wonder it sounded empty, got hot enough inside the box it burnt the label off the inside of the lid. The camp safety guy came in as he opened it and had a **** , the driller was on the next plane out.
My dad do some blasting from time to time in his clearing business. He had a box of caps in the back of the shovel you see in my avatar. In those days the shovel was set up with a sixty foot crane boom and a clamshell. He cleared the right of ways on each side of forest service roads and put the brush in huge piles and then lit them on fire. At any rate there was one cap left that went off as he had the counterweight pointed at a large fire. Scared hell out of him and left his ears ringing for a long time.
I watched the video and if I'm understanding this correctly the load was intentionally detonated??? I'm no explosives expert but I have been through extensive Hazmat training in the fire service. 5000 pounds of explosives is a LOT!!!! Hell, a 20 pound propane tank super-heated can level an area in a 100 foot radius!! I'm just shaking my head on this one.....
I understood they took the guys 5k pounds of illegal fireworks but he was also making IED's in his spare time and that was what they put in the truck to cook off instead of moving, an approximately 10 pound device of some sort. Guess whatever it was packed a little more punch or there was a problem with the containment vessel.
Looks like the guy borrowed a little of that "gain of function" that was used on the virus.
Early John Candy and Joe Flaherty on SCTV. Farm Film Report2 - YouTube
Latest report says 32,000 pounds of real fireworks on site and what was detonated was homemade m80s and m1,000s. Bob
M80s of back in the day were 1/4 stick dynamite equivalent, cannot even imagine trying to set off 5k lbs. of any form of those all at once.
Seems odd why you wouldn't have a removeable containment device you know so if it fails it doesn't blow up a very very pricey truck with it? It does make sense they wanted to deal with it there, instead of trying to transport it all.
Apparently there was only 130 pounds of homemade stuff and the bomb containment unit was only rated at 15 pounds so maybe someone made a bad guess. Bob
They lost a truck and a bunch of people got hurt. Do you think someone will be held accountable???
No
The Lt. I saw said there was only 10 pounds of the rated 15 pounds so something went wrong. My guess is they mixed up pounds and Kilos, forgot to latch the door, or ignored several procedures.