Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Political ads on HEF seriously

Randy88 · 2014-10-31 20:08

How come from time to time today and the last few days, are there political ads on the top of HEF both before and after I log in? did I miss an inner office memo that now we can bash politicians? Seriously guys it can't be just me on my computer can it?? It shows up just like the ads do in the yellow area for construction advertising. Did some spam slip through the system and make it up on the system? Just curious as to what's up, never seen it before and hopefully never see it again, we all get enough everywhere else its not needed here too.

Replies25
  1. #1digger242j2014-11-01 09:39

    Well, election day is near, so politicians are paying for advertising all over the place. Those ads don't originate here. They're bought and paid for somewhere else, and HEF just gets a small slice of the revenue. And, truth be told, your own internet browsing habits have some influence on which ads pop up there. Last week I was doing some research on load securement, and damned if I'm not getting ads from dealers in that stuff now, that I never got before. I haven't seen a political one yet, but then I don't spend much time browsing political content on the web. I've long thought Google's motto should be, We know you better than you know yourself.

  2. #2CM19952014-11-01 09:57

    Digger beat me too it. I searched "slope lasers" the other day... - they do, ohh they do.

  3. #3JNB2014-11-01 10:06

    Funny you mentioned that. As you know, I've been researching lasers the past week. Even though I use an adblocker with firefox they still got me. I had three emails this week from Amazon regarding lasers that I may be interested in. I don't recall looking on Amazon for a laser. I'm sure that there's a bunch of shared info on us too.

  4. #4CM19952014-11-01 10:09

    Any shared information wouldn't be coming from HEF, now it could come from our browsing preference like we talking about but HEF doesn't share information.

  5. #5JNB2014-11-01 10:18

    10-4, I wasn't referring to HEF, just google and the like.

  6. #6CM19952014-11-01 10:24

    No problem just wanted to clarify. I don't know if anyone has been on Zoro to look at something but if you do, it'll follow you around like a bad cold.

  7. #7John C.2014-11-01 12:11

    It's in the cookies! You have spies on your computer and you let them in.

  8. #8CM19952014-11-01 12:31

    Yep. It's good to dump your browsing history often.

  9. #9Randy882014-11-01 12:42

    So if I get this right, my browsing habits show me the political ads here on HEF but others don't see them?? If google or whoever knows me better than I know myself, they should know I don't live in any or can vote in any of the states the political ads are from that are shown here on HEF for my benefit, so I'm thinking maybe they don't know as much as some would think, just an observation. Does that mean in two weeks, we can look forward to all the presidential candidates advertising here as well for all to enjoy and view for the next up coming election in two years, just a question, don't mean to haggle the admins, I'm trying to adapt to "change" sorry no political pun intended.

  10. #10CM19952014-11-01 12:59

    The one ad at the top of this page is Ritchie Brothers for me right now. I don't know how the ads are structured but I haven't been on Ritchie Brothers site in several weeks. However, I have been on several other auction sites for trucks and heavy equipment. They use some sort of computer algorithm that makes a best "match". Internet marketing is a very, very big business.

  11. #11DoosanFan2014-11-01 14:09

    AdBlock works like a bomb

  12. #12oarwhat2014-11-01 16:57

    I agree Adblock is the best. It shows it's blocking 4 ads now.

  13. #13OCR2014-11-01 17:59

    :thumbsup... Don't think I could stand to be without it. https://adblockplus.org/ https://adblockplus.org/en/features http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus Lol... ​ OCR... PS: Another one I use... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/ I guess it works with Internet Explorer too... http://lifehacker.com/5533694/use-internet-explorers-built-in-flash-block-feature

  14. #14digger242j2014-11-02 09:24

    I spoke too soon. Now I'm getting ones related to the Pennsylvania Governor's race...

  15. #15CM19952014-11-02 10:47

    Still Ritchie Bros..

  16. #16lantraxco2014-11-02 14:58

    Linear actuators, Hydraulics, Hulu Plus, and adopt a kid.... odd mix..........

  17. #17digger242j2014-11-02 15:20

    Just now I got one for.... ...wait for it.... ...Google Ads! :bash

  18. #18Steve Frazier2014-11-02 20:48

    Our ads are placed by two marketing agents, Google Adsense and BuySellAds. With BuySellAds I have the opportunity to screen each and every ad before it is placed here, with Adsense I don't. I have been able to have them filter ads with adult content but every now and then one of them slips through. I'm not sure I can filter the political ads. As the Moderators have mentioned, these ads keep the site free to our members and I've limited the number of them seen by members logged in to a minimum. In two more days the political ads should disappear until next season.

  19. #19lantraxco2014-11-02 21:05

    Hey Steve, the ads here never bother me just so you know! Compared to most other sites across the web this is heaven. It's getting so there are so many side ads, top ads, banner ads, and popup ads on news and magazine sites, you can't read what you went there for! Keep up the good work. Lanway

  20. #20Randy882014-11-03 06:54

    Thanks for the explanation Steve, but anything political is still a taboo subject we can't discuss, even though we can see and read their ads, just verifying that fact, right? Lantraxco, I have absolutely no idea what my computer geek/fix it guy has done for me, installed or put on for blockers, but in all the years of having him do his job, I've never seen a political ad anywhere but here, and hardly ever seen any ads anywhere advertising anything, unless its a site where the site is paid to allow them, like sponsors and things like those for ads, as for anything random, never.

  21. #21oarwhat2014-11-03 07:03

    Guys here's a link for ad block with reviews etc. http://download.cnet.com/windows/adblock-plus/3260-20_4-6290751-1.html It's free and it works great. When I first used it I thought something was wrong with some forums with all the blank space. Then I realized is was the missing ads. I've been using it for over a year with no issues. My buddy was getting bombarded by porn ads. It took them all out and got his wife off his back LOL

  22. #22Randy882014-11-03 07:19

    Last night I was watching the news on tv, mainly for the weather forecast and the ad came on, stating and I quote, "A political ad break" so for the entire duration of the normal ad we sat and watched water lap up on a sandy empty beach, the it was followed with a "your welcome from your local television station" Now that got my attention and the only ad this entire year about politics I'll ever remember.

  23. #23mitch5042014-11-03 12:14

    I've just seen my first political ad on HEF.... At the top of this thread!

  24. #24Randy882014-11-03 14:23

    Hey Mitch, welcome to the party, was it someone you have at least heard of or know what state they're from? Maybe I don't see anyone from my own state because I've already voted..............whoa...........wait a minute.............the divine advertising gods are trying to tell me, I need to go vote in other states too.............never gave that a thought till now. Now to figure out what states their running in.

  25. #25CM19952014-11-03 18:54

    Politics and religion are topics best not talked about in mixed company or family gatherings and we extend that to HEF. Politics as it directly relates to the HE industry is an area that can be discussed within reason, as spelled out in the Forum rules - On that note, we all have to pay the power bill to keep our lights on. These ads bring in the revenue to keep HEF operational and more importantly free to all users. As Steve has said, there are some filters that can be put into place to keep out the adult ads and whatnot but it's the mid-terms and candidates are spending a lot of money to get their name out there and it comes across all the airwaves so to speak, it will be over tomorrow. BTW - Still Ritchie Bros for me.