Looking to increase our bulk on farm diesel storage. Currently have old steel gravity fed tanks on stands, can find similar second-hand but obviously condition is not always up to par. Came across some new poly tanks at what I consider a reasonable price, however a bit more info from the manufacturer also showed what I consider a few negatives. The tank is 5000L (1100g) and is obviously top fill and has a suction pump for pumping out. While I'm not adverse to fitting a pump, to me it's one more thing to go wrong and while gravity feed is slower, it always works, and yes I know i have to also build a stand for the tank to gravity feed. I asked about deleting the top fill/suction and making it bottom fill gravity feed same as a rainwater tank, and was told that no it can't be done as the brass tank bungs have a seal that can't stand permanent immersion in diesel. So there is no drain bung at the bottom of the pictured tank, which to me means no way to ever drain the tank due to contamination, I would imagine that the suction line would be up a bit, so there is a decent sump so to speak, but I just dont seem to like the idea of being sealed for life so. Internet research shows other manufacturers also have the top fill/suction hoses although at least one has a bottom drain bung. However this manufacturer is double the price of the one pictured which puts it out of the realm of reasonably priced. Any input?
Just walk away....or run.....must have a bottom fitting, at least to drain it.
I can’t pretend to know what the rules are in your country. I’m an AST inspector by trade. We have to follow UL, EPA, insurance and NFPA rules for above ground storage tanks and, that’s just a bad idea all around. Even if you don’t have to follow any regulations. Plus, the microscopic hydrocarbon utilizing bugs would love growing in that tank.
The bottom outlet is a weak point. When I have seen plastic water tanks split, it is nearly always around the outlet at the bottom.
We set a lot of bulk fuel tanks, and they don't have a bottom fitting for draining. Double lined, single wall, or inground. Once in a while there will be a old above ground, single wall tank that has one, but not very many. That said, I wouldn't want the plastic tank, I like steel, and double tank if I can find it used, and afford it.
They have a big above ground double wall tank where I get diesel. I like it because it has a high flow pump. It pumps from the top. I don't recall seeing any fittings on the bottom. Maybe so there's no chance of a leak. Not sure if it has a opening on top to allow access inside. I used to build large oilfield tanks and a lot of them have a manway to access the inside. Not sure if fuel storage tanks would have access though? Would need to follow strict OSHA protocols if they do.
I would assume that this design is legal as it is marketed as a diesel tank and all poly tank manufacturers i have looked at do it this way. I also assume this is the cheapest option as there are also self bunded (double wall) ones which are obviously better. Having said that, I'm out bush and only me using it, so legalities are down the scale on what I'm concerned about. Obviously the consensus is, it's bad. But why? Lack of drain capability, as i originally was. Growing bugs was mentioned, is the single wall the issue here, or something else? I have machinery with poly fuel tanks (also coloured black) and touch wood, no issues yet. I would have thought that strength wouldn't be an issue, being its only 5000L. I have multiple 5000g and 8000g water tanks with again touch wood, no issues yet? Water ingress through top fill fittings? I would have thought that the tank bungs would be watertight and there doesn't appear to be any lip on the bottom to hold water, so while I'm not a fan of the design, it should shed water? As stated I looked at deleting the top fill, but not an option. Not trying to be argumentative, really just want to learn something. As stated have 3 old steel tanks, I have never had an issue with diesel bugs, I do infrequently dose the tanks with a biocide (spelling). I also run a filter on outlet of all tanks.
From what I was reading the suction pipe is several inches above the bottom so it won't suck up water or sediment. I'd imagine you could put a suction hose that reaches the bottom in to clean it if need be.
Welder Dave, just to answer your question, manways become a requirement, as per SP001, at 30k gallon and larger.
“Growing bugs was mentioned, is the single wall the issue here, or something else?” Because, the sunlight gets through the poly. Even with a colorized poly tank.
So is it only a matter of time til my tractor tank has problems? Tank is mounted mostly uncovered on side of tractor, ie gets plenty of sunlight. Its only 4yrs old, but lives outside for long stretches when fencing.
Most tanks here are painted white/silver to as not to breath as much during the day/night. I put a large roof over mine, and painted it silver and added this style of valve/cap suppose to cut down on breathing. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cim-tek-vented-fill-cap-for-standard-2-in-threaded-hole
Could you wrap it in sheet metal, like 30 gauge. I just bought some to build a plenum for my wood furnace, I got 3'x24' for less than a hundie
No worries there. Different scenario.
We’ve had this Nutank (the ones they drop from a chopper!), for five years now. Much thicker than their traditional water tank and has fused and welded fittings. Very convenient but getting up in price, half the cost is in the pumping gear etc. and the alloy base it sits on.
I'm sure y'all could weld up that base ^^^ pretty easily from some materials laying around.....
Very interesting.
Black plastic tanks are better for reducing algae or growing bugs but I think it all depends on how long the fuel is sitting in the tank. If the tank is depleted and refilled fairly often there shouldn't be many problems. If the fuel sits for month's or even years without being used or even agitated is when you have problems. If you don't go through a lot of fuel don't use a large storage tank.
Queenslander is that top fill, bottom draw, or top fill and top suction? Its obviously also got the sight level tube. Are there threads cut into the poly like on the smaller transfer tanks or are there tank bungs? Actually probably easier if I jump on google and see what I can see for myself. Any complaints with it overall? Everything ive read re these diesel tanks says they are all much thicker than the standard water tanks. Thanks
Can't work out how to attach the sales pamphlet with the specs. Appears single wall, with similar'ish set up to original one posted. I bought some covered lick troughs from Nutank years ago, but have had nothing to do with there tanks. Original tank posted is out of Bundy, National Poly Industries, I purchased 3 of there watermarks about 5yrs ago and have been fine. Price of original tank as pictured, no pump/hoses/etc. is $2970. Nutank pictured here with pump/hoses/base/install and start using is $13995. Both 5000L
Is that the same outfit who build Policraft boats?
It draws from the bottom and fills through the top but at ground level, if that makes sense. My only concern is that the clear plastic sight tube is a weak point but it has a ball valve on the bottom and we only open it to check the level. When it comes to cost, I would question the thickness, these have a specific gravity of 1.6, the same as their molasses tanks, but they will make them thicker at extra cost if required.
Have a bit of nutank stuff here. Not seen one crack yet. They seem good stuff.
Sorry Tones, missed your question. Yes it is.
Based on that they make an excellent product.
I don't have any first hand experience as steel v poly on bulk fuel tanks but I do have experience of using aluminum transfer tanks in pickups (over steel) and getting fuel from a quality place that doesn't have dirty tanks. Use to be going over 10k on fuel filters was suicide and they would plug up around 13k, now my filters go 15k and look very clean, bet I could go much more. I would choose to never go with steel if I could.
Speaking of aluminum tanks, these are the most beautiful aluminum diesel bulk tanks I’ve ever seen. The artwork, on what could potentially be functional secondary confinement, is interesting.
A boy, CAD/CAM, and his plasma cutter......
No, my point is, why destroy the function of what could be secondary confinement? Especially, in off-shore oil rig application or on a drilling site when there are high -profile SPCC plans in place? I know the guy to ask, and will do so when the opportunity presents itself. They might be props or engineering prototypes or a mistake by the guy with the plasma table. Or, maybe the weight had to be reduced for whatever helicopter that was used to fly them? The cost to build them locally had to be enormous.
Some of that could also be for the wind to pass through so it don't blow away if it were out in the yard instead of next to the building
Are the tanks within that "box" in the photo bunded or is the box intended to be the bund.? If the latter then I fear that someone somewhere has greatly miscalculated.
I’m more intrigued about these things, now. I need to find out the story.
The outside box could just be for protection. Aluminum tanks can get damaged easier than steel tanks if they get banged around or struck by something.
some of the edges look like sharp points that if your brushing past or working near (like to set the hooks for craning) you could get mangled fingers.
Well I ended up finding a good used 5k litre steel tank on stand for a reasonable price. I'm much happier with gravity feed than a pump, one less thing to go wrong.
I would certainly feel more comfortable with a steel one. They pretty much last forever. as well.