Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pond Excavating

Dirtman2007 ยท 2007-10-13 17:48

We have been in a severe drought for the last six months with a rain fall total of less than 6 inches in the last 4 months around here. Good time to dredge out ponds!! This is the 3rd one we have done this month, and have 5 more linned up to do. Found a hole in the 4th pic, mud almost came inside the door A little wiggle and the machine pulled right on out of the mud.

Replies7
  1. #1coopers2007-10-13 20:15

    Nice pictures! That looked like a close call. How do you like the volvo? Blake WA

  2. #2Dirtman20072007-10-13 21:46

    I think the volvo is one of the best excavator that I have operated. Its smoother than many other excavators with the same amount of hrs on it. Seem to me that this machine can move about twice as much dirt in one day than the other excavator we have can do. I think the most we ever move in one day with this machine was around 3200 yards in 8.5 hrs with the 48" bucket. Ony stop for a short lunch, I felt like I move a mountian by the end of that day. Just digging in soft dirt you can get about 3 or 4 scoops a minute.

  3. #3coopers2007-10-14 00:45

    Very cool, what other machines do you guys own? Blake WA

  4. #4Sleeper2007-10-18 00:21

    I've logged some hours on a new 360 Volvo, It's heavier then cats competition. My 360 had a 10 foot 6" bucket on it for loading sand into rock trucks. It was much more stable and could have the arm outstretched with the standard bucket full of sand and not be tipsy. The only problem is, since it's heavier working on a steep/sheer edge won't happen dude to it wanting to collaspe under the weight of the undercarriage, also the Volvos alot slower then the cat.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-10-18 00:29

    Welcome to HEF Sleeper! :drinkup Thats pretty big. You got any pictures of it?

  6. #6Sleeper2007-10-18 00:32

    Not on me at the moment. I might be picking up a new SLR camera this friday. If so I'll get you a case. Our trucks are 30ish yard capacity and it three full scoops from it are too much. We do site prep for warehouses and big preloads. Fun stuff.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-10-18 00:36

    Wow. Yeah, some pictures would be much appreciated. :drinkup