Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pond weed removal

jbernielh · 2025-09-09 23:26

I've got a 3 acre pond that gets pretty choked with various pond weed in the summertime.. I can't drive my 304 into the pond as it would just sink out of sight.. I lust after one of the mini's with the pontoon track/outrigger systems but financially not in the cards for the limited use.. that, or one of the super long reach big machines but access is a bit limited.. in my proof of concept playing around I've taken my 12 inch trenching bucket and attached about a 15 foot chain on the eye on the back of the bucket and then likewise attached to the 24 inch installed on the machine.. I get as close as possible on the shoreline and then cast the bucket into the pond.. I've gotten really good at it.. you need the weight of the bucket otherwise it will just slide along on top of the weed.. I'm trying to think of an alternative to the trenching bucket.. something more like a rake with teeth but still needing the heavy weight of the bucket.. has anyone ever seen something of this nature? I'd like to find an old bucket that would fit my machine and get creative..

Replies1
  1. #1Coaldust2025-09-10 00:39

    My favorite duty at TSAIA was to grab a thermos of coffee, fire up the lake rake early on a July morning and start harvesting weeds. And try to stay out of everyone’s way. They make miniature units now.