Can any one tell me if you can replace a pony motor with a stater on a 62 D8H If so how? Thanks
I think Old Magnet would have the answer to that one.I don't know myself.The D8Hs I have run had electric starters on them.Ron G
Your 62 model should have the starter hole in the bell housing already for the electric starter. Should be a easy conversion. OM will know what starter, rotation and all the particulars. He is the conversion guru.
That's one of the easiest to convert. ebay has them ready to go or you can get the pieces to convert if you already have a 50MT clockwise starter. Be sure to ask for one with the RH helix drive gear. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-50MT-PO...ash=item19d37f3f6e:g:bEsAAOxydlFS3Bl9&vxp=mtr
Thanks a million! That's perfect, I appreciate the info. One more question, The Bell housing does not have any bolt holes for a starter, how will I determine positioning and do I drill and tap holes?
The starter has a special adapter drive end housing that matches the pony motor mount. Just remove and replace.
I Had a 64' D8H that I converted, had to drill and tap the holes, actually I had a machinist friend do it and it turned out fine, don't drill all the way thru. You should be able to see on the housing where the bolts go. I also had to change the pre combustion chambers for the glow plugs, 24V alternator etc. Best thing that ever happened to that machine.
Thanks looks like that's what I'll have to do also not sure about the glow plugs though Hope it will start with out them and I will.need to plug up the water and exhaust from the pony motor Any other help or advice would be appreciated Thanks
No experience converting from Pony to Electric on a Cat but, from my experience with the older Pre-chamber engines I would lean towards going to the glow plugs. Your location shows as Ohio so unless you only want to use this machine in the middle of the summer I think you will need them.
I just used 2 freeze plugs for the water, put the heat start switch on the dash where the gas valve knob was. I think we took the adapter off the starter to us as a jig for drilling. You will need glow plugs to be happy with the system.
I have a D-7 17A. Would the starter also work on it? Where are the glow plugs worked in?
Yes, same starter fits the 17A, no machine work required. Glow plugs are in the pre-combustion chambers. You need to go with later chambers that have the glow plug provision.
I have done many of these swap outs, it used to involve new heat start switch, breaker fuse, 6 chambers, 6 heater plugs, heater rail (D8/9 same) 24 Volt Generator, leads for battery power, re position and fit new Master Switch, battery box, S/motor, and to do a good job swap out the starting ring on the flywheel, plus wiring of the control box on the older generator systems, regardless there is a good bit of wiring, nearly forgot a new Amp Meter, I would have done a lot more than 10 of these projects, so to do it correctly its a bit of work, the thing in the inlet manifold needs stripping out, holes blocking off, controls removing, petrol tank removing, the de- compressor lever is handy to leave though. tctractors
The starter with special adapter mounts to the large diameter bolt pattern as shown. Apparently some already have threaded holes and some don't. You could use the starter drive end housing as a template to drill for bolts. May already be an indentation where they are to be located. Attached is the location for the starter on a 17A, same arrangement on the D8H