Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pop quiz!

Vantage_TeS ยท 2008-10-25 01:31

What's wrong with this picture? http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2971135234_f1e9556537_b.jpg

Replies33
  1. #1Gavin84w2008-10-25 05:18

    Looks like the same thing i spotted in the D11N impact video on youtube, the knuckle that connects the push arm to the blade is back to front. Also the track could do with some deadjustment!

  2. #2BigIron252008-10-25 06:23

    I agree with Gavin84w, the track tension is just rediculous

  3. #3ACcrazy2008-10-25 11:26

    No operator?

  4. #4DPete2008-10-25 13:06

    I think he's backin up with 4 yards still stuck to the dozer face

  5. #5Deere96702008-10-25 14:20

    I agree with pete!

  6. #6Dwan Hall2008-10-25 15:25

    No rain

  7. #7385c JR2008-10-25 16:20

    I thinke the trackshoes is worn-out. And the track is too tight. At last I miss a U-blade.

  8. #8Tigerotor77W2008-10-25 17:01

    I see a tight track. My eyes aren't experienced for anything else yet, so maybe this will be a learning experience...

  9. #9Vantage_TeS2008-10-25 18:31

    Gavin spotted it. It's the knuckle being backwards. The reason the track looks so tight is he just started turning. He was slot dozing. When I snapped this he just finished pushing the sides in and he's turning to push towards me again. Silly underground companies =p (not ours)

  10. #10special tool2008-10-25 20:21

    Hmmmmm... 2 stacks on a 10??? but the T has 2?

  11. #11randy4482008-10-25 20:31

    yeah I :beatsmewondered about that too

  12. #12catd8t2008-10-25 21:03

    the new d10T has two stacks from cat

  13. #13PAcattech2008-10-25 23:22

    later D10R's had twin stacks

  14. #14Gavin84w2008-10-25 23:40

    PAcattech is right and even some repowered D10N,s have been twin stacked. The best D10 ever built had twin stacks, the late 84W series from about 81-82 onwards.

  15. #15Tigerotor77W2008-10-27 01:11

    I'm still missing it... you're talking about the joint just below the tilt-cylinder? (I can't imagine that we're talking about different joints, but I don't quite see how it's backwards...)

  16. #16Gavin84w2008-10-27 02:53

    Yep, where the push arm connects to the back of the blade there is a knuckle that has a vertical pin and a horizontal pin to allow the tilting to happen. As it sits here the vertical pin is in front of the horizontal and it should be the other way around. To fix just pull the vertical pin out, support the arm and walk the machine back a little, rotate the knuckle 180 degrees on the horizontal pin and walk the tractor back in and refit the vert pin and away you go!

  17. #17Deas Plant2008-10-27 03:57

    Knuckles in backwards. Hi, Tigerotor77W. There are blocks between the front end of the push arms and the blade itself. Those blocks should be the other way around so that they are almost totally enclosed between the horizontal yoke at the end of the push arm and the vertical yoke on the back of the blade. Also, the pin in the end of the push arm should be in front of the pin through the blade yoke. In effect, this means that you should not be able to see any part of that block when viewing from anywhere near directly side on. You have to get almost above that joint and slightly behind or in front of it to be able to see the block or 'knuckle'. Hope this helps.

  18. #18diggerop2008-10-27 05:44

    knuckle The knuckle that you can see should be like this one that you can't see.

  19. #19Gavin84w2008-10-27 07:53

    Diggerop nails it!! Note the amount of chrome on the cylinder and the angle of the blade and then go and check VT,s original pic to see how having the knuckle around the wrong way affects the angles that can be used for dozing. This is the 2nd most common mistake i have seen guys make when assembling Cat dozers after transport, who wants to have a crack at what the most common mistake is when assembling Cat dozers after transport?!!

  20. #20d4c24a2008-10-27 12:32

    Guess roll frame on back to front by any chance do i win anything if i am right cheers graham

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2008-10-27 13:49

    I have to admit, I did that once. Stood the blade up, scratched my head, and went to changing it around before it got on the machine. I bet most common is tilt cylinder hoses backwards. Do I get the booby prize???

  22. #22Gavin84w2008-10-27 18:32

    Actually Jerry that is another one i forgot!! getting the guys to tag them when they disconnect them can really make it easy for the next guy assembling it but the other most common mistake is installing the ROPS on round the wrong way!!!

  23. #23Tigerotor77W2008-10-27 19:43

    Wow -- thanks for the replies! I must admit I'm humbled. And I think I got it... hard to describe if the geometry of that knuckle is what I'm thinking of, but I think it makes sense. One more thing I'll keep an eye out for while rubbernecking! PS: Gavin's clearly excited, as Graham got the right answer long ago!

  24. #24Dozer5752008-10-29 00:45

    Lots of things. 1 its a , I'm not supposed to say that...... 2 the blade is way too high to back up. 3 no reason to lift the blade like that, if it is a bulk push. 4 looks like the operator is gone, and not good having the blade up when gone. 5 the exhaust flaps are full open so must be opened up throttle wise, with operator gone?

  25. #25Vantage_TeS2008-10-29 00:50

    He's in there, he just finished pushing up the side of the pile and is now turning to push that pile.

  26. #26Deas Plant2008-10-29 04:57

    Hey Vantage TeS, what's HIS score??? Hi, Vantage TeS. So, onna 'wun-2-ten' basis, what was our latest poster's score? "1 its a , I'm not supposed to say that......" He's not allowed to say 'high sprocket drive' so I'll say it for him. This has been his theme song for as long as I've known him. He won't admit to himself the only major Western manufacturer of high sprocket drives probably sells more machines in the heavy end of the market than all the Western competitors put together. "2 the blade is way too high to back up." Ah, so there's rules about this now too. Rats! I must have slept through the briefing where they told us about THAT rule. And it's still a fair bit short of right up. "3 no reason to lift the blade like that, if it is a bulk push." See 2 above. "4 looks like the operator is gone, and not good having the blade up when gone." Even my 'pore aging ol' eyes' could see the safety jacket inside the cab, right where it would be if it was being worn by an operator sitting in the seat. "5 the exhaust flaps are full open so must be opened up throttle wise, with operator gone?" See 4 above. And no mention of the 'frack-to-bunt' push arm knuckle or the track tension. Personally, I don't think he even made it off the mark. I'd score him ZERO. Just my 0.02.

  27. #27Squizzy246B2008-10-29 08:12

    Nope....Boobies are not allowed at the Heavy Equipment Forums

  28. #28cat 3852008-10-29 21:18

    i must be looking at a different picture?i can see the operator,he has his head turned back and is wearing a orange vest,i keep reading the operator is gone maybe I'm seeing things, i am getting old.

  29. #29Deas Plant2008-10-30 02:39

    Booby prize. Hi, JDOFMEMI. No prize, M8, even if they did allow boobies here. There's another bloke came along later and picked FIVE non-existant faults and didn't even mention the 'frack-to-bunt' knuckle or the tight track so he would get the booby prize - - - - if they were allowed on here. Better luck next time. Hi, Cat 385. Dont' sweat it, M8. The operator IS in the cab. Your pore, tired, ol' eyes ain't playing tricks on you, in spite of the MIS-observations of another poster. Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things. LOL.

  30. #30Northart2008-10-30 03:38

    Picture taking ? Most people when taking job pictures , are either the Operator or another co-worker. Hence the door would be open, and blade down, if taken by the operator , as it is not , then has to be taken by a co-worker. From the working action picture , the operator surely would not be missing, AWOL , LOL . Reviewing it again, the Operator is in the cab, the glasses and hardhat profile is there with the orange vest. Someones jumped to premature conclusions ! LOL

  31. #31Deas Plant2008-10-30 03:55

    That's NOT Nice. Hi, Northart. That's NOT nice, inferring that somebody on this site would JUMP to conclusions. Now WHO here would do a thing like that? LOL.

  32. #32Northart2008-11-01 10:48

    Pre mature judgment Hi Deas Plant, Hey, that has happened to me . Making a hasty response .LOL Then upon review wonder why I said that, or review a picture see it in another light. :drinkup I try and not do that anymore. Spend more time on the pre view.

  33. #33Deas Plant2008-11-01 17:50

    Premature or pot-stirring - - or just plain stupid????? Hi, Northart. There is a world of difference between making a hasty assessment and later regretting it and what the Washington state connection did. I'm not sure, and don't really care, whether he made a hasty assessment or was pot-stirring - - or is just plain stupid. I suspect that he is not totally stupid because over the years I have seen him put up some quite good posts, although I do have to admit that those good posts have been becoming increasingly rare over the last 3 or 4 years. I suspect that a lot of it is pot-stirring and some of it is ignorance. I have noticed that he has not come back so far to 'revise' his assessment in the light of later revelations - - or corrections. What I am sure of is that he isn't going to get away with posting any male bovine anal excresence (Hey Digger242J, is that terminology allowed here? LOL.) anywhere that I can see it if I can do anything about it. Nextdoor suggested to him in a previous thread that he quit while he is ahead, or behind or whatever. I don't think he is that smart. Pity. It'd save me some time debunking his garbage. And I will continue to do that wherever I find it because it could be dangerous to some newbie if left uncountered. Mind you, I don't see this as my own personal task or duty and don't mind in the slightest if others want to jump in and correct him, even before I get to it. All I would suggest is don't let it get personal or defamatory - just shoot down any erroneous statements that he puts up and leave it at that. Happy hunting.