Im needing to buy a new portable fan for my service truck, wandering what yall use? Last couple ive bought wasnt much count. I bought a 36” shop fan last year to carry in truck, but it didnt hold up to being carried in back of truck. Ive looked at those little high velocity fans like they use to dry floors, wonder if they would be any better. Its gets plenty hot here in Tx… I had a heatstroke 5 yrs ago and its really tough on me now
I’ve got the mini air mover (carpet fan) and the 1hp big one, the mini is nice to carry on the truck, I’ve had it for several years now. The big one would be fine but even on low, it moves a lot of air, too much for me. I got both at northern tool and they’ve had no issues.
Thanks buddy. Are they pretty loud? I just assumed moving that much air in a small package they would be.
The big one is noticeable, the mini is not.
I use the carpet fan also slighty more directional than a big 36 inch shop fan move a lot of air and pack away easier Mine is very quiet 10 amp lasko ( China) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DNGSCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used to carry one those cheap box fans. Yes, they're not durable, won't take much punishment, but they're light, they're square, put out a decent breeze but not too much, really good for a cooling breeze when you're welding something on a machine. And really useful when pulling up on site to work on a hot engine. Set the fan against it or on top of it, in just a short while the engine is cool enough to work on without burning you. And again, they're cheap.
I bought a Milwaukee m18 fan a while back. I don't use it a ton though it's held up decent. I use it mainly for confined spaces or moving air when I'm welding. On high the battery doesn't last long, on low or medium it lasts a while. It's better than nothing though doesn't move the air a "school gym fan" moves, great for spots where you are in the same spot for a while. We have some 110 volt mine fans at work that are pretty durable, they are designed to have 12" vent bag/ hose on them. They hold up the the abuse of mining pretty decent. I can grab a brand name when I'm back at work.
If you are talking about a fan running on 110 volt I use a old squirrel cage fan out of a old heating furnace. That old fan is quiet and it will push more air than any other option.
The electrical contractor that I occasionally work with had the entire Dewalt 18 volt collection, including the portable fan. The fan works pretty well and the battery seems to last pretty long. He's a pretty big feller and sweats a lot, so the warmer it gets the more I like the fan
I bought the Milwaukee m18 fan and mounted a magnet to the bottom. Works good and isn’t too hard on batteries.
We have a couple of those carpet fans, the Ridgid ones move pretty good air. My favorite is a Portacool with lifting eyes on it tho lol
I have the Milwaukee M18 fan too. Happy with it.
I always have a generator with me and use the same. I put the fan a few feet out and duct it with flexible hose to the point of need. "Squirrel Cage" fans excel at overcoming high static pressure a duct introduces into the discharge air stream.
I've been thinking about one of these https://www.mycoolingstore.com/techkewl-phase-change-cooling-vest-khaki.html . Not quiet hot enough here to need it but I'm thinking working on top of a hot engine in july/august it's going to be the ticket. I haven't found a fan I care for yet, coworker had the carpet fan and the cheap ones I can hear the bearings screaming in them. The regular ones seem to bend too easy and I'm constantly straightening the cage so the blades don't hit.
I looked at our fans at work, they are dri-eaz vortex fans. Not cheap though miner resistant (you can't make anything miner proof). We used one the other day doing a ball mill reline, the inside of the ball mill went from a sauna to comfortable thanks to the fan. The accept vent bag as well if you want to direct air to a spot you are working at that would be blocked by normal fan airflow.
AS suggested above ,i use those old squirrel cage furnace fans .They are cheap or free ,run on 110 V . They move a lot of air and are silent. If a guy took the time to make a bit of a frame with a carry handle and a guard on the belt drive it would be good for life.