Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Positives

DMiller ยท 2014-08-21 21:42

Just curious as to the positives for the later hydro and electro/hydro tractors on the markets today, that is over the old fashioned hard clutch and gear and lever control tractors. My old Allis is a brute to operate but I have operated 955K and 951 series tractors that other than all foot steer were very similar to mine as well a few Deere hydro drive tractors I was not impressed with. What are the big positives for the later equipment? I grew up working on the nuts and bolts machines and left mechanicing as the electronics age swept into heavy machines, always afraid of some of the 'tender' electronic stuff as it came out.

Replies6
  1. #1JD88752014-08-22 10:34

    Having started out running a powershift 941B and then moving to a 91 model 953 there were a lot of similarities and a lot of differences. I like the balance of the rear engine machine a lot better when working in off camber situations or when loading. The machine doesn't feel like it "runs on it toes". My 953 has very little in the way of "electronic controlled fucntions" but is a hydrostat machine. One of the biggest advantages to the hydrostat is that I always have the "right gear" for whatever I'm doing and I can vary the power/speed indefinitely to match the task at hand, instead of having to make due with 1st being too slow, 2nd is too fast kinda thing. I love the foot steer and the only other "drive pattern" I would consider is the Deere with the ISO type control. I have ran a joystick machine some but I'm a two-stick man. I don't want any part of the "electronic age" machines because as a one man show I'm the operator, oiler, and mechanic.... Just my thoughts John

  2. #2Dickjr.2014-08-22 15:08

    I've been told by an engineer that its cheaper to build a C series machine than a B series. His reason was that by running wires instead of the linkage and using generic switches , you eliminate a lot of cost. I can see that as far as building the machine. As far as maintaining the machine , diagnosis can be a problem as well as cost of the sensors and switches. I recently ran a 953B , and after a half hour never really paid much attention that It was "manual" so to speak. The C model takes a little less effort on the pedals and travel control as well as the pilots on the bucket. Its down to this sort of , we're all headed that way eventually.

  3. #3lumberjack2014-08-22 15:10

    I wonder why there aren't options for dual pilot operated joysticks like on CTLs.

  4. #4Dickjr.2014-08-22 16:08

    Lumberjack , I think the 939 is dual piloted like the CTLs. My guess on the 53s and up , they already have the design. I bet its coming. I even think some of the larger loaders from CAT have dual joysticks. Just looked the 939 uses the joy stick steering like a CTL but the bucket is still manual.

  5. #5CM19952014-08-22 21:58

    Dual joysticks are an option on the D series track loaders. http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C453361 After running V-lever for many years I couldn't train my mind to do it.

  6. #6DMiller2014-08-23 05:16

    Thanks guys, I am evidently not alone in some respects as to acceptance while the primary reason for the change t electronic was profitability not necessarily operator or operation. I just can't get the joystick system either, even used a excavator that had them and was not comfortable with no 'feel'. Guess I am just a dinosaur.