I had my mini out on a municipal job using it for a clean up machine after the bigger hoe tore everything up. First week came back and put my key in, and it just went in circles. Thought maybe it was just a fluke that it had worked the night before now problems. Then it started losing power. Was smoking really bad, and didnt have half the power as usual. changed filters,and didnt help. The fuel is dirty, and when i pulled the oil on it to see what it looked like, it looked dirty, like it had dirt in it. We just changed it before we left for the job! Same thing with the fuel tank. I can prove it but I really think someone has messed with it. What could you put in diesel or oil to make it tear something up without looking suspicious? I hate to turn it into insurance as vandalism, as I have NO proof, but when you add it all up, it doesnt make sense. I know a couple of the local contractors had bid on the job and were not happy the bid went to someone from out of town. But I am not blaming anyone, I just want to know your thought/opinions on what you would do? Pekin carries my inland marine/equipment coverage. We have never had a claim before and been with them for 2 or 3 years now, but I dont know how they handle stuff like this. Thanks all.
. You better check the hydraulic oil also the radiator. Could be kids doing this.
Call the insurance company and tell em what you just told us. Have them send a third party to take oil samples. Sounds like somebody was a sore loser and turned it into a criminal case. That piece needs to go to the dealer for a flush of the whole system, or claimed as a total loss if that's not financially feasible. Don't take the heat just because you don't want to turn in a claim, I think you'll have nothing but trouble out of it from now on. Unfortunately, that's why we are forced to have insurance.
Yea I would get it to the dealer of whatever brand it is and let them go over the machine. It sure sounds like someone messed with it. I would then let the Insurance company talk directly to the dealership service manager.
Some of the ones I have seen vandalised, usually leave a trace of dirt around the fillers / dipsticks - take a good look. Also seen some real pros at doing this - fuel filters removed & refitted after being contaminated with grinding wheel dust. Lots of other things as well - don't want to mention as it gives "the low life" better ideas......
The symptoms you describe are the same as when one of my crew mistakenly poured gas in my S185 Bobcat. Smoking, no power, changing the fuel filter didn't help. I thought I smelled gas when I changed the fuel filter so I drained the tank and refilled with diesel. Problem solved.
In the first post i meant to say that i CANT prove it, instead of i can. But I drained the oil out on the job when i first noticed the excess smoke, no power, just to see what it looked like. It was REALLY thin, but didnt smell like diesel. No water in it that I could see, but had some chunks of goo come out? Also, it was running hot. Kept boiling over. It was about 30-40 degrees all week we used it. We run it all day in the middle of summer 90 degrees and it had NEVER ran hot once. New thermostat too.
That is why you should check all fluids and go over your equipment with a fine tooth comb before starting it up now days
we always check oil on everything before we start it. didnt look suspicious. the thing is, I dont know that anyone messed with it at all. Its just odd.
I just came back from checking out machine again, I got a replacement thermostat from the tak dealer and when i took it to put it in, there was NO thermostat in it. There used to be! I am not sure why someone would pull it out. But that might explain the running hot and boiling over.
Ummm....actually no. If anything it might not get up to operating temperature or take a long time.
If you still have the old fluids take them in to be analyzed it is usually about 20 to 30 bucks for an oil analysis around here anyways.
I would agree with the thermostat removal making it run cooler IF it had a big enough radiator to let it cool properly. Heavy equipm. mechanic told me that removing it on a small engine, small radiator will not allow the coolant to be in radiator long enough to cool it down, and therefore when working the machine hard, it will run hot. Not sure what i believe other than that when I knew the thermostat was in there, it NEVER overheated, even on hot days. Now, it is running hot, and I find out it is not there. Any mechanics with any proof of this either way please school me. Either way, someone is bitter an outsider is doing work in their town, or they needed a thermostat from the same model/machine. Who flippin knows. All I know is I didnt take the damn thing out.
We have the local Tak dealer coming out to look at it tomorrow and pull oil/fluid samples. Hopefully we can find something out.
when I operated my own JCB I always tried to park it where it was in plain view.All my filler tubes were lockable and same with the bonnet and side panels.It sounds to me it was an adult with a grudge.Sorry to hear about your problems and good luck with this
While we are here lets share some tips to help spot this type thing before start up.I try to park them in fresh dirt and look for tracks all around also glance at the filler caps for dust & dirt if it is everywhere else it should be there too.
That's what I did when I had a fire and the dealer helped the insurance company understand what needed to be done and they took care of it with little hassle.
I have gone to so far as to set up a game camera inside a locked machine. I am going to buy a stealth (non flashing) game camera to set up on job sites where I have to leave my machine. I HATE leaving my machines, attachments, trailers but sometimes it's what I have to do. I try and make sure there is a locked gate, lock on the trailer, and my machines are password protected and hope for the best. Hope it's a minor issue that a engine flush will fix. I hate vandals...taggers, and other jerks who cost us hard-earned money!
I try to do the things mentioned above, however, it isnt always possible. I sometimes will set something small on the fuel tank cap, etc so that I know if someone has moved it. The dealer has it now, tearing it down. It has NO compression, got hot and melted a piston and messed up rings they think. Contrary to most beliefs, the Tak dealer told me that the little cooling systems on these will overheat WITHOUT the thermostat, not run cooler. The oil looked like it had chunks of stuff in it too. Insurance is taking care of it, so I am glad about that, but still pretty pissed someone messed with something I work my ass off to pay for.
you would just like catch those a!11ols in the act and have a baseball bat best of luck tb
it's no consolation to you, but i've seen it happen to out of state contractors wroking in the area. i went out on a "my machine wont start" call a couple years ago, i found what i think was muratic acid in the fuel tank, it had melted some plastic and rubber parts in the fuel system. while i was there the contractor was asking all his guys, "who spilled all the fuel on the trailer?" i went over and looked at the brand new mini x on the trailer, and found the same thing, all the plastic and rubber was melted on the fuel system. i aslso suggested they not start up the brand new drill rig they had sitting there. no other equipment on the jobsite was having any issues at all. i suggested they call the local sheriff, and at least make out an incident report. sheriff reluctantly told this contractor that it's common for this to happen to out of state contractors in this area. they called me out the next day to assit them in loading up, they had pulled off the job, packing up, and heading home :drinkup
That, I did not know about the Takeuchi, (And I own one) normally the free flowing fluid keeps the engine from warming up fully, making for poor operation. It was a popular thing to do when I lived in South America. (People didn't feel like spending $15.00 on a thermostat.) So it sounds to me, (If your mechanic is correct) that you are dealing with someone that if VERY familiar with that particular machine. (Pissed off any heavy equipment mechanic's lately?) B-)
Ive seen some wicked stuff done to motors by stuff added to them. my old mini ex every thing is lockable on it. I knew a logger that used to let his drivers cowboy. He had a contract at the end of a small narrow county road and one resident with dogs asked him to slow the drivers down. When crossin his place. One of the drivers ran over a farm dog crossin the road. Two days after that 2 skidders and his loader were seized up. I had a look at the fuel pumps and injectors, heads and cylinders all rusted up like thay had been in buckets of water. As they finished that job the drivers used second gear out. The mechanic is right on the thermostat being out on some motors the engine will recirculate the hot water too fast and make it get hot.
In addition, if a water pump is cavitated it won't move the water to cool the engine. If one were to remove a thermostat and reassemble without "bleeding" the coolant system. Just a thought.
I would just like to re-mention the idea of the game cam. All to often these units sit 11 months of the year. I am sure they could be easily painted to match anything and at least in the case of my model would just look like a part of the machine. I do a load of reno work, and have loads of tools and other equipment (looking to buy a mini, thats why I am checking out this forum) the game cam is an awsome idea!