Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Powauto PTO

Hendrik ยท 2009-07-20 23:00

Just wondering whether anyone has much experience with powautos, mine is leaking out of the shaft that engages the gear to make it run.

Replies11
  1. #1RobVG2009-07-23 19:05

    I don't know about powauto's but I did a few Chelsea's this winter. For the Chelsea's you can get a seal kit with all the seals and gaskets for 30$. One end of the shaft had a cover over it which held a Bearing. The cover gaskets were leaking. On the other end of the shaft is a seal and more gaskets. The seal also leaked. Removing the PTO (on Kenworth T-800) wasn't difficult and niether was disassembly and installing the seals (I think there is an o-ring or 2 also) the only trick to it was that the 2 or 3 paper gaskets on each end are actually shims- they set the bearing preload. If this helps at all I'll try to remember more detail.

  2. #2td25c2009-07-25 21:18

    Could you share a picture of the powauto pto Hendrik.I have chelsea,muncie,and tulsa pto's on my trucks.Is your truck transmission an automatic?.Tell us more about it.Most pto's are similiar in design.usualy just o-rings & shaft seals.

  3. #3Hendrik2009-07-25 21:51

    Sounds like a good idea, here are some pics of the leaky so and so. As you can see in pic 2 there are two allen bolts that I assume stop the shaft from sliding out. Picture 3 is the area where the oil is coming out. Not having a shop manual for the powauto I am flying in the dark somewhat but am guessing that I have to drain the gearbox oil (which is manually shifted as opposed to the girlually auto types ), then undo the shift cable and undo the allen bolts and slide the shaft out. Then it should be a matter of prizing out the O rings and fit newys to stop the mess. Hang on, no that's not right as the shaft would be attached to a shift fork or something else that engages the gear which drives the pump. BTW the truck is an 86 Missingbitzis FK 415 single axle tipper, with a ~6 liter NA Diesel engine, coupled to a 5 speed synchro box. About 430K on the clock. Handy little truck as it is not too big and has a pretty good turning circle, however I can only fit 3 of my 4 machines on there at one time but the Dingo is in the sin bin for the time being anyway.

  4. #4td25c2009-07-25 22:09

    Thanks for the pictures Hendrik.That pto on your truck looks just like my pto's.you need to drain the tranny and pull the pto and spend about 25 cents on some o-rings for the shaft seal on the pto to fix the oil leak.It's an easy job.

  5. #5Hendrik2009-07-25 22:30

    Cheers mate, betcha your PTO's are cleaner than mine

  6. #6td25c2009-07-25 23:05

    Hendrik,All pto's look the same around the world.and most of them leak abit around the shaft seals.It sounds like you just need to replace the o-ring's on the shaft.Cheers mate.

  7. #7Hendrik2009-07-25 23:31

    I don't mind a bit of seepage but that puddle under the truck is from sitting there for a day and a half. One of the secrets to not having a truck pulled off the road by a safety inspector is to make it look like it is cared for and having crap all over the PTO and pump is not a good look. I fixed a small fuel leak, put a new king pin in the drivers side, took some of the slop out of the gear lever, rebuild the handbrake (which is still not 100%) and am doing other small jobs on the truck as time permits. Just generally tidying up so it looks cared for, instead of used and abused.

  8. #8td25c2009-07-26 18:36

    Thats a good idea to look the truck over and make repairs as needed.Your pto will most likely have to be removed from the tranny to replace the o-rings on the shifter rod that is leaking.Some pto's will have a cover that can be removed so you can relace the o-ring's on the shift rod without removing the pto from the tranny.It's not to hard of a job,The main thing is when installing the pto to make sure the pto gear & countershaft gear on the tranny have about 10 to 20 thousandths of an inch "backlash" clearence after the pto is bolted to the tranny.The backlash clearence is obtained by the gasket thickness between the pto & tranny.Here are some pics of some pto's I use.The first is a "chelsea" on the left and a reversing "muncie"pto on the right.These pto's have the shift rod in a removable cover .The second two pics are a tulsa two speed reversing pto and another muncie.They resemble yours with the shift rod .And yes,25c is going to have to replace the o-ring on the pto in the last pic.It's my leaker,1966 c 60 chevy dump truck.Hollar if you need help on the pto mate.

  9. #9Hendrik2009-07-26 20:35

    Good stuff, I take it the clearance is checked by removing the pump and turning the shaft to see how much slop is there? I take it the gears have to be interlocked/engaged to check? It's not going to hurt to remove the PTO even if I don't have to, as this will give me the chance to inspect the internals to see that everything is OK. I am a great believer in preventative rather than reactive maintenance.

  10. #10td25c2009-07-26 21:26

    Yep,you have the general idea Hendrik.Now when you pull the pto,If you dont tear up the gaskets they can be reused forgoing the clearence check procedure.Also ,I like to use "locktite" on the pto studs & nuts .And alot of pto setup's like yours with a heavy hydraulic pump hanging off the rear of the pto will use an additional brace bracket from the pump to the tranny.This helps keep the pto from working loose as the truck bounces up and down on job sites and on the road.Good luck with the job & send us pictures of the repair on the pto mate.

  11. #11Hendrik2010-05-08 22:42

    I didn't take any pics of the repair but it was fairly straightforward and the cost of the seals was 10 bucks.