Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

power steering question

TheOldMan ยท 2012-04-25 08:10

Changed the last of the filters on the 580C (power steering) and as per the svc manual, tried to turn the wheel lock to lock to remove air etc. Can't go lock to lock with the wheels on the ground. Pick front up with the bucket, and lock to lock with one finger. Back on the ground, about half throw. Drives just like it used to, ample throw to maneuver. Never tried lock to lock before. Is this something to worry about, or just leave it alone?

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2012-04-25 08:14

    Not 100% sure of what you are asking - with the wheels on the ground, the steering has power assist & wont come to a stop at full lock? You can keep turning the wheel?

  2. #2TheOldMan2012-04-25 13:03

    No, the power steering works fine with the wheels off the ground - lock to kock. with the weight on the ground you can turn it about half as far as it whould go, in either direction, and that's all. Like it just doesn't have enough power to go any further. Drives ok, I guess because you never turn it that hard. Probably be ok, I don't think it will ever go off the farm while I own it.

  3. #3alrman2012-04-25 20:06

    Could be a bit of a problem with a full bucket of dirt in the loader. Maybe a pressure problem - relief pressure at full lock should be 2000psi. Test point should be at the fitting for the pressure hose at the steering pump. Often the relief valve needs a new oring fitted to it. Be sure the king pins are OK.

  4. #4TheOldMan2012-04-26 09:41

    I thought i answered this, but don't find it here - if this is a double post, I apologize. I changed the front tires when I brought this machine home, and I couldn't get much mocement up and down with a bar under the tire, so think the king pins are in pretty good shape. Need to buy a tee to use on the outlet hose to hookup a gauge, then I'll look at pressures.

  5. #5sbarrett2012-04-26 12:29

    not a case owner i have a john deere 310a,was just reading this post and was wondering if when the wheels are off the ground,maybe the steering does not contact the steering stops and allows for more travel ,like i said,not butting in,but just had a thought.