Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

FORD 4500 – New power steering pump setup

4500GUY ยท 2012-04-25 12:34

Hi Guys, I am replacing the old power steering pump with a new unit on my 1975 Ford 4500. This is the type with its own reservoir. My question is do I need to do anything special in regards to the pump and relief valve? Can I just fill the unit with fluid and keep an eye on the level until all the air has been bled out? Any help will be most appreciated!! Thanks, Dave

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2012-04-25 20:28

    Dave, usually with new parts, they are plug & play. It should be factory pre-set, if it is'nt there should be a notice with the new parts advising to check & adjust.

  2. #2csthompson122012-04-26 13:23

    I'm thinking of replacing mine on my '75 4500 as well. Mine does seem week, and it also tends to blow oil out of the fill cap. Has anyone had that happen before???