Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

powershift or hydrastatic drive

retired ยท 2024-02-09 22:02

I have a 1994 cat 939 crawler loader and I don't know if it is apowershift or a hydrastatic drive Thanks

Replies23
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-02-09 22:37

    It is a hydrastatic

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-02-10 01:21

    Not good to ask multiple times. I answered in your other thread. It's most likely a powershift. Later models were hydrostat.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2024-02-10 07:52

    931 935 where powershift 939 where hydro.

  4. #4retired2024-02-10 08:01

    You are gracious to answer me. Frankly, I am so dumb when it comes to computers that I get confused. It kept asking me to do things and I am never sure if I am doing the right thing or if I have not done what I am suppose to. As you can see I received two different answers. Can one tell by just looking in the cab because of the way the foot pedals or hand controls are configured , whether it is a powershift or a hydrestatic drive ? I have a left and right foot pedal for steering and a middle pedal called a park brake. My hand controls on the left consist of two levers. One operates the gas, the other controls the forward motion and the back motion - 3 forward and 3 back. Again thank you all for your answers. I have lots of questions about this machine. I am impressed by the work it can do even though the operator is very limited. I wish one of you guys was my neighbor.

  5. #5retired2024-02-10 08:05

    I see from tyler d4c I just got an answer. Thanks to everyone.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-02-10 08:50

    If the final drive has a planetary drive on it its a hydrostatic. If it looks like the photo it's a power shift. Either may also have a weight installed here if unshore a photo of witch would help. By your description of the controls sounds like its a power shift. A machine serial number would be helpful

  7. #7Nige2024-02-10 10:12

    AFAIK all 943 track loaders are hydrostatic. As Tyler says a Serial Number would confirm it 100%.

  8. #8retired2024-02-10 12:35

    9GL00290 Thanks for your interest

  9. #9Nige2024-02-10 12:41

    Then it is a powershift transmission with a torque converter.

  10. #10Tyler d4c2024-02-10 13:52

    My apologies WD my information is wrong

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-02-10 15:49

    939C were hydrostat. Early 939 were powershift. Look on the net. I thought they were all hydrostat too. They weren't big sellers.

  12. #12Tyler d4c2024-02-10 16:07

    I seen that I thought all the 939 where hydros myself

  13. #13retired2024-02-10 16:49

    Another mystery I have concerning the hydraulic fluid refill tube. Since I had a leaking hose - very small - I looked at the glass and it seemed low therefore, I attempted to unscrew the cap and anyway I had a dickens of a time getting it to unscrew. I had turned the machine off, put on the park brake and added a little pressure on the bucket when I lowered it. It says to put a little downward pressure when parking. I had some maintaince done on the machine about 2 years ago - fluids drained, etc. well all of a sudden the cap flies of and some fluid flies out. I looked at the glass and it seemed well above the haveway mark. Did the repairman put too much hydraulic fluid in it. Thanks.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2024-02-10 17:33

    It's possible it's over filled the tank will have pressure on it as they are not venter to atmosphere. Something like 7 psi the check valve keeps in the tank

  15. #15retired2024-02-10 18:07

    Thanks that was probably the problem

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-02-10 23:58

    You need to slowly loosen the cap and you'll hear air escaping. Down pressure on the bucket shouldn't affect the hyd. tank but if the cap was taken off quickly might blow some oil out. I just put the bucket on the ground. It doesn't need down pressure and after sitting for an hour or more will likely relax the down pressure anyway. I figure it's easier on the seals to not leave a lot of pressure on the cylinders.

  17. #17retired2024-02-11 07:55

    Thanks for the information. I am mostly brain dead when itcomes to this thing, but gradually am finding out stuff thanks to you guys. Although,I am 81, I am hoping to stick around awhile to finish my projicts.

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-02-11 20:05

    Just take your time and be aware of everything and everyone around you. If pushing tree's over, be especially alert because tree's are unpredictable and could fall back on you.

  19. #19retired2024-02-12 06:12

    Thanks

  20. #201693TA2024-02-12 09:47

    No, you are not "brain dead". You have already displayed the motivation is there to learn something other than a new cell phone, computer, remote, or anything else us older people have trouble with. You mention a project many would not even contemplate at the age bracket. I find this commendable myself. I'd wager many of us are envious of having such desires at, or when we close in on your age. I know nothing about that tractor you have so cannot offer anything of value other than positive motivation. I'd like to see some photos of your progress even as simple as your learning of the machine.

  21. #21retired2024-02-12 10:48

    Actually, I was motoviated by the fact that I had inherited parts of farms and felt I could build a couple of roads and sell them for more money. So buy a used piece of equipment, make the improvements, then sell the equipment and the property. The 939 had less than 3400 hours on it and I was told by a cat mechanic that it was a good buy - and I was not buying it from him. It has been a good machine but things need repaires and these things are so complicated. difficulty finding parts, expensive, and many interruptions of other things but I am finally able to work with it and it is running good. For awhile though, I felt like brer rabbit and the tar baby - the harder I swing the more stuck up I got.

  22. #221693TA2024-02-12 11:00

    Some of those things you mention I can directly relate to. Glad to read you are making progress. I have a few things with my tractor to address to do some of the same type work. I had it taken 175 miles distant to find the problems only to haul it back.....

  23. #23retired2024-02-12 11:36

    I am thankful that I now have a good mechanic who seems knowledge and responds quickly. He is local has a very large service truck with a hoist and has fixed all my problems so far.