Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Powershift Trans service

son69 ยท 2017-01-20 20:31

Quick question for you guys..... looking to do a Trans service on my 2000 case 580 super l. I have a powershift Trans in it. I called 3 dealers on fluid recommendations and I got 3 answers. I was told to use case hydrodex 3 by 1 dealer, hytrans ultra by another and penzoil atf by the third.... anyone know what I should really be running in it. I called the previous owner and he had no idea. Thanks Craig

Replies10
  1. #1son692017-01-20 20:37

    And I have to figure out how to turn this pic...lol

  2. #2rubberfish2017-01-20 21:47

    Sorry. Can't help with the fluid question.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-01-21 08:41

    Everything you will ever want to know about servicing it is here -----> http://www.ci.moraine.oh.us/pdf/Streets/Case 580 Super L Backhoe Manual.pdf Download the manual and go to page #80.

  4. #4franklin22017-01-21 09:33

    Unless I looked at it wrong, on my 480c with the shuttle they called for the same fluid that the hydraulic system calls for. So I was going to put hydraulic fluid in mine.

  5. #5Tinkerer2017-01-21 09:46

    To avoid any confusion for son69's question here is what Case specifies.

  6. #6franklin22017-01-21 18:39

    I need to remember all Case backhoes are not created the same. Looks like his takes some other fluid, while mine does take the TCH fluid in the shuttle.

  7. #7alrman2017-01-21 19:29

    Hoping this does not add to this confusion..... I have always known the Clark Powershift fitted to the L/M backhoes to use ATF dexron 3 (Elfmatic G3). Red ATF fluid was always in them from factory. Tinkerer - sure you're not looking at the Carraro Shuttleshift, also fitted to the L/M which DID use Hy Trans? This pic is from one of my manuals. Definitely use the red stuff :thumbsup

  8. #8son692017-01-21 19:46

    Thanks

  9. #9son692017-01-21 19:48

    Thanks for the responses. I just got an email from valvoline stating their dex/merc atf fluid is a equivalent to the shell donax ta witch was also listed in the owners manual I found online. Kinda makes sense as the hydrodex 3 seams like a version of gm dextron 3. Alrman, thank you. I trust what you say. You have made more sense that the 3 dealers I called on the subject.

  10. #10Tinkerer2017-01-21 19:51

    Hi Alrman, nice to see a real expert back. I dunno which trans was in the manual I posted. That is why we need you n Melben n Sheepsfoot helping. son69 needs to determine which brand unit he is dealing with.