Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PowerStroke Front Seal Replacement

Steve Frazier ยท 2010-11-03 13:14

I have to replace the front crank seal on my '01 with 7.3 Powerstroke. Can anyone tell me what size bolt fits the holes in the spokes of the balancer? I also need a tip on locking the motor in place (by myself) so I can deal with the crank bolt. Can anyone help? Truck is an automatic

Replies5
  1. #1willie592010-11-03 20:06

    I don't work on truck engines all that often Steve, been a real good while since working on a 7.3 stroke, I can't remember what size those bolts are, but I'd be willing to bet they're metric. Not much room to work in there with the radiator in place, have you considered removing the radiator for more access? I know, just more work. If you can't figure a better way to "hold" engine to remove balancer bolt, might try removing bottom convertor housing cover, I think there's one on the auto trans housing, or removing the starter. Then fit you socket/ratchet to balancer bolt, turn crank (with ratchet) until it's up against truck frame member, then use a pry bar to turn the flywheel using stater ring teeth to unlock front bolt. Just a thought.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2010-11-03 23:17

    The tranny fittings are pretty bad, I don't think they'd survive pulling the radiator. That's the only thing stopping me. I'll fix those eventually but didn't want to get into here and now. May have to, I have to get this thing going

  3. #3willie592010-11-03 23:24

    LoL...Yup, if they're a headache now, it's a sure bet they will be a headache later, as in rust/corrosion popping a hole in one while your tripping down the highway, would be good if you could sort it out now while your going after front main shaft seal.

  4. #4RonG2010-11-04 03:47

    I have two chain pipe wrenches connected together that I have used around the damper and lodged up against the frame to hold the engine.The flywheel teeth would be the most logical way to do it however. I have heard that some have pulled a plug on a gas engine and fed rope or twine into the cylinder but not sure that I would do it unless I had no choice.Not so easy on a diesel engine.Ron G

  5. #5Dualie2010-11-07 01:13

    well i have the same thing coming up on my 2000 F-350. the factory seal has 380,000 on it and at least 12,000 hours. so its served me well i plan on installing a fluid dampner balancer while im in there. I Believe cummins says to change dampeners on big cam's every 250,000 miles. I found this installation instruction manual for the dampener install on a 7.3L this might help you a bit http://issuu.com/dieselbombers/docs/performance_diesel_install From people i have talked to you can remove the balancer if you remove the fan and the fan shroud. i would recommend putting cardboard over the radiator when working on the crank pulley. You can use an impact gun to remove the dampener bolt and your not going to remove the dampener without a dampener puller.