Does any one know the part number for the 24 volt engine fuel preheater on a Komatsu D65E-6 or where to buy one.
Linder? Local komatsu dealer in NC?
Thanks, I will give them a call today/
I removed the preheater today to check it out and there was antifreeze in the tube that it goes in. I don't believe this is right, but the dozer runs fine. I finally gave in after fighting the dozer for two days (had to keep recharging the battery) and purchased some starting fluid. I hated to do it. The engine fired right up, blew a lot of smoke, but stopped smoking after it warmed up. Does anyone know about the antifreeze in the tube?
When I removed the preheater, Antifreeze came out of the port. Does anyone know why this happened or is this the way it should be?
Not familiar with this machine, but I'll wade in. Does it look like this? #14 is the heater plug. Pictures of your machine may help. Need a serial number to get the right part number.
The serial number is 32250 for the Komatsu D65E-6. I hope you can help. The preheater goes in on top of the tube on the right hand side of the engine. Thanks for your time, Marvin Beard
I'm not seeing it, the picture I posted previously is the only preheater shown in the parts book I can find, you heat it up and then apparently pump the fuel priming pump to create a fire in the intake manifold. Can you post a picture of what it is you've removed and where it came from? The antifreeze makes me suspect you may have the water temperature sender, or maybe you have an aftermarket fuel heater setup.
That picture looks like an old NT855 Cummins intake manifold. That #14 would be the glow plug for the manifold heater. Like you say it gets heated then the old ones had a little primer type pump in cab that you pumps to push fuel through a spray nozzle to preheat the air in the intake. Agree a picture would be very helpful. I never thought of fuel preheaters as a "starting aid" more to keep fuel from gelling up when running in very cold temps. Usually an engine will start just fine when cold then after running a couple minutes the fuel filter will plug up with wax then it will stop. All the fuel preheaters we had did use engine coolant to warm up the fuel so seeing coolant at the heater would be normal as long as it was not transferring over to the fuel side of the heater. Never was involved with the systems some truckers used, believe they were called "Hot Boxes". They were little diesel fueled hot water heaters that circulated the engine coolant to keep sleepers nice and warm at night and I believe some if not all of them had a loop in the system that went in the fuel tank to keep it warm as well.
I will post s picture tomorrow. I appreciate all the information.
Kshansen, I think the engine model was NH 220, so 220 horse? It does look like a Cummins in the parts pictures. Back in the day I remember a joint venture between cummins and Komatsu, lots of Cummins clones showed up in Kommie equipment.
These are the pictures I finally got posted of my engine. The exhaust is on the right side of the engine. That is where I think the preheater is, but I am not sure. You can see the fitting on the second picture up that has wires on it. This is where I saw the antifreeze in the line. Then again, this may be the temperature sensor. I can't find another sensor anywhere on the left side of the engine (top 3 photo's). I hope someone can help locate the preheater for the fuel.
That is the coolant manifold with the temperature sending unit threaded in on an angle. The intake pre-heater is exactly as shown on post 6, in the elbow between the air cleaner and intake manifold. That sure is a clone of an NH220 Cummins, I know the genuine Cummins have a decompression lever to get her spinning fast enough to start cold but not sure if the kommie edition has it? The only NH220 i've encountered was a good starter down to around 15F then she needed some assistance.
Thank you very much for the information and your time. Now I will take it out and test it.
There is a decompression lever and preheater on this dozer. It also has a fuel primer. I figured I was on the wrong side of the machine.
Arrow in above picture is pointing to the temperature sensor for the temperature gauge, if this is loosened you will see coolant! Arrow in this picture is pointing to what I would call the manifold heater. This is what is shown in post #6 above. Item #14 in post #6 is the glow plug that heats up then fuel oil is sprayed past it to burn and heat the air inside the manifold to assist in cold starts. It does not heat the coolant in the engine. There should be no coolant anywhere in this area, just fuel oil. The ones I'm familiar with had a small hand operated pump in the cab that pushed the fuel to the nozzle for this manifold heater with a toggle switch and indicator light next to it so you knew when it was turned on.
Got it. My dozer has the hand operated pump and a indicator light. Thank you for your time. Now, I am trying to locate the part.
Well if you have that set up you should have a line feeding fuel oil from the fuel system and then another line that goes to the fitting on the heater shown in my second picture in post #17, it will connect to the end of that large hex part right close to the spring on that latch for the cover. If you unhook the line there and pump the pump you should get some fuel coming out with each pump. On the inside end of that large hex should be a nozzle the fuel gets sprayed through. Might be a good idea to remove that and see if it is clear by having someone pump while you watch. Clean with some carb cleaner if needed. Now where the yellow arrow points in the picture below is where the glow plug for the heater is located. Should have a wire held on with maybe an 8-32 hex nut. With switch by the pump turned on should have power to this point. You could remove it and hook to a battery to see if it works, be careful as it will get hot at the spring like coil. It should be marked with the voltage it is designed to work at, most likely 12V. It goes without saying that you need power going to the switch in cab in order to get power to the glow plug and a working switch!
You don't know how much I appreciate all the information you sent me. I know you spent a lot of time getting the information. Now I have to wait until the rain is over so I can work on it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again,
This is where I saw the coolant
Not sure where you are referring to in this one.
The photo with the red arrow pointing straight down on #17.
OK, You should see coolant there otherwise engine would be overheating due to lack of coolant. Like I said that is the sender for the mechanical temperature gauge. That is not a wire hooked there it is actually a fine steel tube that runs up to the gauge in dash. Be careful around it as they can be a little delicate and if broke almost impossible to fix.
The part with the Red Arrow - is there a part number on this? My dozer has a plate where this manifold heater is located and I have been unable to find a part number for this. Thanks! Dan
http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1832!3857!1!6 Should give you what you need. And hey, I just noticed these engines DO have a compression release! That should help you get it spinning when it's cold out or the batteries are low!