I'm in the process of rebuilding a Eaton motor, model 6433. I've been trying to figure how to preload the bearings. Under the bearing cup on the end of the shaft there are 3 shims. My question is how to tell if I have to many or not enough shims? When I pulled this motor down the bearing was losing the hardening off the rollers. Would this indicate that the bearing was overloaded? Cheers Tones
Tonnes, I have question myself about this exact situation before. It seems to any time you have opposing bearings, to much preload would cause a failure quite quickly into operation. So bearing failure could be just wear , cheap oil etc. To set the preload you would need to do so with out the rotating group installed to eliminate the friction or whatever from the cylinder block spring against the valve plate. Once set disassemble and install the rotating group and pull the head down evenly by hand.
Have you checked the Eaton Charlynn website for rebuild info?
hi ,the bearings aren't preloaded the end float is .002 to .007 thou dry assemble the pump without the rotating group then check with dial indicator
Thanks f311fr1 and Mark for the info. The motor is now turnning sweet by hand and far better than it could be when I first got it.