Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

prepping fire damaged steel for paint

stumpjumper83 ยท 2011-09-13 17:07

Bought a severly fire damaged ford f-250 the other day because I needed a box for my 350 and I was able to get this whole truck for less than a box would have cost at a used parts place. The cab & motor took tghe heat of the fire, aluminium heads melted, front tires burned off, all the interior up in smoke, but an awesome box. One 2x2' section on the front needs some paint, is all How do I prep after fire?

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042011-09-13 21:53

    Well, I can't tell you the right thing to do, cause a body man I ain't, but I can tell you what I did that worked. I bought a service bed off of a F350 that had burnt. It was mostly cab damage, but it was new enough to have a plastic gas tank, so there was heavy damage to one front corner. I sandblasted every surface I could get to, and then, I actually painted it with oil paint designed for metal buildings. I figured I'd be having it redone by someone competent soon, but, 9 years later, it looks good, and has no rust. Good Luck, Mitch

  2. #2Dualie2011-09-19 02:06

    depends how heavy the paints burned. You could DA sand to clean metal prime then paint.

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-09-19 06:20

    its not were one will see it, front middle of the box, up against the cab, and I run and "L" off road tank and a tool box in the back. So I just sanded the best I could and went ofer it with a can of rustoleum charcoal primer and put the box on.