Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

We got a little problem here

Goodmanstruck ยท 2011-09-18 22:35

Hyundai 360 with Shear, ripped off the flange that the slewing bearing bolts to.

Replies10
  1. #1Ronsii2011-09-19 01:25

    Wow! I am curious how many hours were on it?

  2. #2Dualie2011-09-19 02:11

    Im curious as to what yard that machine was working in, I have seen that machine but i cant place where.

  3. #3alrman2011-09-19 04:47

    Grandpa will be keen for a last bit of sun before winter - PM him as he will be keen to assist - he has been voted the HEF GURU on broken stud extracting

  4. #4Goodmanstruck2011-09-19 08:44

    Machine belongs to ALCO Iron & Metal in there San Leandro yard, is only about 4 years old, but they double shift it so it has almost 13 thousand hours on it. I appreciate the offer to help with broken bolts, but fortunately there are none. The weld failed at the flange for the slewing bearing. The bearing was still bolted to the upper structure when we moved it. Amazingly the rotation joint was unharmed also. I will post pics of the failed weld in another couple of days.

  5. #52stickbill2011-09-19 09:34

    Well Duct Tape is out so maybe a case of JB Weld and some Gorilla Glue? Maybe two cases of air freshener for the cab.

  6. #6Nige2011-09-19 12:18

    New carbody then. That'll be expensive. Air freshener for the cab..? After the cost of a new carbody I'd put a new seat in it .......

  7. #7Goodmanstruck2011-09-19 12:32

    Were waiting for the Hyundai dealer to see if Hyundai will sell us just the flange, if not then we may have a new piece machined and then weld it down, were mostly worried about the flange warping when welding. Would need to be milled after being welded. I'm trying to get them to commit to a new slewing bearing so we can leave the flange bolted to the old bearing to reduce warping while being welded. I looked for a used carbody, but no luck so far. Word has it that Hyundai may send someone to inspect the machine. Its only 4 years old.

  8. #8RayF2011-09-19 18:45

    I'm a bit far away but you should be able to find someone to face that after its been welded on. Its done here by onsite machinist's on a lot bigger diggers than that

  9. #9cps2011-09-19 19:08

    Co i worked for Had a Komatsu do the same thing 450 it was and about 4 years old as well! Turned out it was'nt welded on the inside of the flange! After some shouting by the owner they replaced the carbody for them!

  10. #10John C.2011-09-19 19:27

    I would be hitting hard on the dealer and factory for that. Unless you had something strange on the end of the boom, there is no way that carbody should have broken. The stick and boom are supposed to be the fuses. I guess you get what you pay for and it doesn't appear you paid for much. Good Luck!