Hello Folks, I have been recently working in extremely fine sand conditions, and combined with the grease already on the engine, the engine has now turned into a dirt cake. Is pressure washing the engine directly a do or dont? Is there any risks, I should take notice of? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Also, after working in these conditions, the CTL undercarriage starting squeaking, is this a serious problem or should it should be cleaned up? Thanks
Which undercarriage? Usually squeeking means money, in my experience.
The compact track loader one (not ASV/MTL), it happens occasionally in the super fine dust.
The last time I heard squeaking on mine, I assumed it was a rock or something. Turned out it was dried mud above the roller in the track frame preventing it from turning.
Alright, thanks, also do you know if it is safe to pressure wash the engine? Thanks
I've been pressure washing my Cats for 15 years without any problems. Just make sure you have dipstick and engine caps in place. Try not to direct the debris toward the AC unit, and use some common sense around the alternator and electronic boxes. You might also want to open the drain plate on the bottom to flush large debris out. Water will leak out, but sludge won't. Once you get it cleaned, try to keep it that way.
The two biggest downsides to pressure washing are chipping paint (on hard corners especially) and blasting grease from pins all over. I prefer low pressure/higher volume for my normal cleaning. Tandem 2" pumps feeding a 1" line works well, but a good "garden hose" works well enough. For cutting through crud however, a pressure washer is king.
Don't squirt the wire plugs if you can help it. The only take about 15 psi to get past the seals in them. Indirect is fine though. Had many a call to the wash rack for Dead machines.
Ok alright thanks, lots of good information here. Thanks.