Hi guys, Picture this; a 2004 Hyundai LC160-7 digger (16 ton) lying on it's cab side facing down slope on a rather steep hillside with boom in a slightly raised position. The accident happened Easter Monday but it's been too wet to get another machine in until now. Will complete recovery this weekend. Just wanted some advice on checks I should do before attempting to start the machine. I intend to let it sit for a few days to let the fluids drain back to where they are supposed to be and I will pull the injectors and turn it over to make sure there isn't oil remaining in the cylinders. Advice on manually lowering the boom would be of assistance also. Thanks.
Im just trying to picture that, 1 would be good.
Good day tontosgold Re lowering the boom we are ware of a couple of options 1/ measure exactly the position of the boom circuit shock valve, this will enable readjustment - screw the adjuster out this will enable the boom cylinders positive side to leak back to tank - put the adjuster back to the adjusted position. 2/ Make a small threaded adapter so that you may force the boom spool valve into the operated position again this will enable the boom cylinders to drain to tank. If you need illustrations drop me an email via the forum. Kind regards Uffex
After you get it on it's feet pull out the injectors then wind it over on the starter. This helps get rid of any oil that maybe sitting on top of the pistons.
Thanks for the suggestions good people. Recovery was completed today without any problems. Check out the pics. Cheers
Where about's are located? Look like the digger was having an afternoon snooze. Good to know it's ok
sGreat photos,and glad the machines ok,hows the operator all good I hope.
Well I found oil inside the 1st and 2nd cylinders. Blew it out by spinning the engine with the starter then poured some diesel in and did it again. Sucked out what little remained with a venturi pipe connected to an old gas bottle filled with compressed air. Started ok but after a minute the injector pump got a gut full of air so I bled it out and it ran fine after that. Tones; Cairns region. Garrie; Operator was me so got nobody I can blame! It was a fairly slow ride but once it started there wasn't a lot I could do about it about other than keep the tracks straight and the bucket down. Would have got away with it but for the head of a gully under one track and a tree stump under the other which abruptly ended my prospects of getting down to where the hillside benched out a little. Couldn't see a thing cause the cab was tangled in wait-a-while, had to climb out through the roof hatch. Anyway, the mate who brought his machine to help me out reckons an operator who hasn't had a decent mishap in an excavator hasn't actually been anywhere. Ha ha.
Well done on the recovery. glad you were not hurt. Looks like from what I can see you got away with minimal damage.
I 2nd ddigger,you one lucky guy,go buy a lotto ticket. That could have done some major parts damage,Boom,cab etc.All the best.
Wow indeed _ I'll say!! Quite the Story and Pics _ I do hope all is well, with both you and the machine.. Treat it well, seems it had a bit of a Hard Day there indeed.. :drinkup
quick question, are you out working out in the stick with rubber block street pads?
Hell no Stumpjumper, though might as well be since those triple grousers are packed rock hard with clay. In this kinda country I wish it had singles like my dozer. They never clog up.
Trackgrip www.trackgip.co.nz/ make a bolt on grouser which could have prevented that happening. Peter Gardener Engineering are the local agents based in Brisbane. Bet you had stinky pants after that ride
Ok, wasn't sure tonto, in the one pic its looks a lot like a rubber block pad... and yes those triples are best saved for flat ground work. You need to give it a hillbilly conversion ( single grousers ) if your going to keep fumbling around out in the sticks on the hillsides. Check these hoes out..
Looks like just the ticket for my situation....although I might end up with a dangerously overconfident mindset.
I was going to say, the first thing to check for would be snakes and spiders lol. Glad it all ended well. Like my grandfather used to say, anybody who doesnt screw up once in a while isnt working hard enough!