All, Quick price check on a vintage D4C serial number 40A34**. First quick look; Has been on trailer (not ran) for at least 3 years. Not sure if motor free yet, so price both ways. New BERCO rear sprockets. I can not feel any pin wear. Or see any for that matter. This model was post pony motor and has an electric starter. Anyway, need ball park for when I talk to dealer this week. I can get for a lot less if I buy it before he has his mechanics unload and he paints it for the auction, etc. If they do that then it goes to auction. I can probably get a good guy discount from him, but dont want to lowball and shoot myself in the foot... i.e. **** him off. May have pictures by then also. Thanks, cb!
Also, it supposed to have the D330 engine. Any comments on the engine will be appreciated as well, Thanks, cb1
I have the D330 engine in my D4D & 941 loader & they seem ok. The experts say the 3304 ( later model engine) were better though.
I have a 40A D4, if it runs and operates and has a dozer and no issues $6K to 9K depending on condition. Even small repairs can be expensive, I sent my head off for rebuild seems like it was $1000, Generator rebuild with new armature $500. Get it off the trailer and operate it if you can. The clutch is dry unless it's been upgraded , see if it turns both ways and the trans operates properly in all gears forward and reverse. It may still have 4, 6V. batteries, mine was changed to 2, 12V and has ample power for starting. I just put Interstate marine ,rv batteries in it for $160 from Costco otherwise you are looking at $500 for the 4, 6V. I have heard different opinions on the D330, mine runs like a clock, starts easy, I have no issues with it but my D4 is not used very much. Good luck
Ok, so I stopped and talked to the dealer and he is going to get me a price. He did say my cousin (works for him once and a while) did take it off the trailer and that they pull started it and it runs. Talked to my cousin and he said it runs good for not being run in the last three years (at least). Anyway, here are some pictures. And is that the hour meter up by the water pump? I thinks so, but not a cat guy..
Hour meter?
Travel left on adjusters
Sprocket and pins, both side simular..
Random shots...
Last couple for now....
That's a 1959 model with D330a (4-1/2" bore) engine. Pay attention to cooling as they were prone to head cracking and high hour units were know for spun bearings. There were many design changes throughout the production of this D4C. Seemed to be a learning experience for Cat.