Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

international 500c axle

sbybee ยท 2016-06-05 11:41

Got right axle out (previous post) inner axle stuck on both sides. Used brass hammer and a small sledge and separated them. Brass bushing all tore up and end of axle worn odd so something wasn't put together right thirty years ago when the brake bands were replaced. Never found one thrust washer. It didn't fall in just never there but would it have worked that long without it? The steering clutch was simply stuck with rust. Hopefully the parts tractor will have good axles. It has sprockets on it that look new. What is the best thing to do to clean the fiber discs on the clutch? Thanx steve

Replies3
  1. #1zbo22016-06-05 23:15

    You can get new bushings for the end of the pinion's. I would check the inner and outer bearings that the pinion's ride on to make sure they aren't worn out. I guess make sure the 2 center bevel shafts that you had to persuade out are in good shape where they ride in those brass bushings. I would also check the carrier bearings on the center section to make sure there isn't any play that would cause the bevel shafts to wobble and wear out those bushings. As far as cleaning up the fiber clutches, I would replace them and the steel's just because it's such a PITA to go back in and re-do them. Spend the money now to do it correctly or it will come back to haunt you. Just my opinion. Mine also had some of the thrust bearings missing and some installed incorrectly. They are still available so that shouldn't be a big deal......BUT make sure they aren't in the finals somewhere.

  2. #2sbybee2016-06-06 09:55

    Thanx for the info. I'm thinking about replacing the bevel shafts if I can find them. steve

  3. #3zbo22016-06-06 12:07

    Give Steve at SA Dygerts a call...That's where I got mine. Great guy to deal with too, can answer your questions if you have any. (315) 559-4992