Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pricing for work question?

artistwantab ยท 2022-09-18 00:16

Hey guys, I am new here. I have a question as to how you guys price things. I like to be educated with asking for bids and I also don't like wasting peoples time so I like to have a basic idea of cost before contacting people. I have some acreage and would like to bury a 40 foot container to use as storage for lumber and such. I also would like to dig a hole for a future large pond. Would it be cheaper to have you dig out for both since you are already there or it simply by the yard regardless? I don't plan on doing the pond for a couple years but thought it may be cheaper to have you do it since the equipment is already there. How much would it cost to dig a hole for a 40 foot container?

Replies14
  1. #1artistwantab2022-09-18 10:13

    I think I have answered some of my questions by reading through your posts but I am still confused a bit. It seems like you guys price based on cubic yards and thankfully they have online calculators to figure that out. From what I can tell 1.50 to 2.50 per yard seems to be the price depending lots of variables. So a container is 13 cubic yards which at $ 2.50 is $ 32.40. That seems incredibly cheap which means its likely not worth your time so I would have to do the pond (about 1 acre) and container at the same time. I don't want to do it myself with a bobcat. Is that still to small of a project?

  2. #2Jonas3022022-09-18 10:33

    Talking to your local guy is the only way to get a idea of price By the way a container is closer to 100 yards 8x8x40/27 its no matter because that would be an hourly job + moving in costs , bigger excavator gets it done faster but costs much more to move and may not be able to access site You may have easy digging or may be into bed rock 6 inches down Another question will be what to do with the spoils dug up put them in a pile or all spread out may require another machine How to get the container into the hole, push it into a hillside or lift it into a hole The pond has pretty much the same questions but yes if you can so both at once you save the moving costs and can maybe get a better price on the projects Just some ideas for you

  3. #3artistwantab2022-09-18 11:15

    Thank you. That all makes sense and you are right that the calculations was wrong. One of the dimensions was in inches. The sad part of California is "some" contractors through out the "lets see if he can afford this" price. I have had bid for repairs being 20X the price I actually paid for the work. That is why I wanted to be educated on the pricing before even calling around for bids.

  4. #4joe--h2022-09-18 12:16

    I'm seeing a buried container as a wet cave, with a bunch of soggy lumber. Above ground they're a condensation trap, below ground going to be any different? Joe H

  5. #5artistwantab2022-09-18 22:45

    @joe--h No. Like everything its all about insulation and ventilation. I will run a vent duct up with a fan to keep the air moving. Its a cheap way to have a building large enough to store a bunch of lumber and at the same time utilize valuable shop space.

  6. #6Delmer2022-09-19 02:39

    Yes, below ground it will be a collapsed condensation trap.

  7. #7John Shipp2022-09-19 06:44

    I've seen several good YouTube videos on burying containers and the squeeze they generally suffer if just chucked in a hole and backfilled with soil.

  8. #8CM19952022-09-19 09:22

    The roof metal on conex box's are not designed to carry uniform soil loads. The structural component are the 4 corners and the metal skin is to keep wind and water out above ground.

  9. #9aighead2022-09-19 09:54

    I've been here too long! My first thought was that burying a container wasn't the best idea after I also asked about burying a container. I think there are likely decent ways to waterproof (or water resist) them but it may be challenging. Regardless, my guess is that doing both jobs at once would be the best solution. Welcome to the Forum @artistwantab !

  10. #10artistwantab2022-09-19 18:01

    Hey guys... Thanks for the word of caution. I have seen it done successfully with the addition of ventilation and insulation. I will however research it further. I just want to eliminate the eye-sore and putting a fence around it will also eliminate the beautiful landscape.

  11. #11crane operator2022-09-19 19:45

    Burying the conex in dirt and covering it isn't a good idea. The sides and/or roof will cave in. It works if you build a "basement" around it and a false roof. And if you have to pour basement walls and build a roof- you really don't even need the conex. Build a shed on the other side of the house away from your view. A shed will increase the value of your property, look nicer, and be much more useful.

  12. #12artistwantab2022-09-19 20:58

    Ok...Let me clarify things. I understand that the structure isn't strong enough by itself to throw in the ground and use it as a building. That being said I have seen them being used this way by adding retaining walls around the structure. That is my intention.

  13. #13suladas2022-09-19 22:01

    Why bury it? Why not just keep one at ground level? They work great for storage, but as said are not a good idea to try and bury.

  14. #14kaffine2022-09-20 22:44

    Do any of your neighbors have a backhoe or excavator? For smaller projects that can work well. I've had neighbors with equipment do a few jobs for me.