Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oops, those tools are gone

Welder Dave · 2022-09-17 23:07

Was so happy that I seemed to have fixed the battery charging on my dump truck I closed the hood and forgot about the tools I left on the passenger side step. Didn't realize it until after I had hauled about a dozen loads of dirt. Went over to the truck and found my side cutters and a 1/2 inch ratchet wrench still there. Figured the other tools would have fallen off pretty quick but wasn't so lucky. Walked everywhere I drove and no luck. Went to see if they were somehow stuck on the truck somewhere and did find my pen light flashlight resting between the step and fuel tank. That was good because it was the most expensive of the tools. I figure I lost a hammer and a pair of pliers. You would hope they'd fall and be easy to see but if they ended up in the dirt I was digging, I can all but forget about finding them. Kicking myself for not putting the tools back after I was finished with them.

Replies17
  1. #1crane operator2022-09-18 08:53

    I'm here to tell you, they will not grow a tool tree like magic beans.

  2. #256wrench2022-09-18 10:32

    Whenever i have seeded any tool, the germination rate seems to be nonexistent

  3. #3Old Doug2022-09-18 11:19

    I worry that i will find what i lost sticking out of a tire.

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-09-18 12:19

    A martian will land there in the future find them scan them and say {Welder Dave worked on his dump truck here at 9:00 am. on 9-17-2022}.

  5. #5Old Doug2022-09-18 12:29

    I havent lost alot of tools but just because i would love to know were my long handled 3/8 snapon ratchet went.

  6. #6farmerlund2022-09-18 18:28

    I was pretty excited to find a couple ratchets at the intersection of the highway 1 mile from my house, untill I realized that they were mine. Damit!!. LOL

  7. #7Truck Shop2022-09-18 18:58

    Biggest find--a 1" long anvil Ingersoll impact spline drive-being a spline drive meant it fell off a tire shop truck, so I took it back to them.

  8. #8Welder Dave2022-09-18 20:59

    Good for you for recognizing it was a kind a specialty tool, that not many would have, and returning it. I lost a folding loading ramp I built and no chance I'd ever see it again. The hammer and pliers can join the 12" adjustable wrench I left on my bumper a few years ago. Maybe when I get around to moving the dirt I'll find them but it's a pretty big long shot in 200 yards of dirt.

  9. #9Welder Dave2022-09-19 14:35

    I suppose I could spread out the piles of dirt and use a metal detector to hopefully find the tools. It wouldn't be very cost effective though if I had to rent a metal detector.

  10. #10Camshawn2022-09-22 09:48

    I found a 10mm socket trapped on the frame rail of my pickup.. what are the odds? One of our old dogs used to grab my wrenches when I was laying under the truck and drop them in the grass about 40’ away. Lost a few. Cam

  11. #11Old Doug2022-09-22 11:03

    I had a box of new sockets that were left overs from a hardware that sold out this brand and started selling another . I saw a small snake in the box one day so i set it out side the snake was through some of the 1/2 sockets . I looked in the box hours later and the snake was gone along with a socket that i never saw agin.

  12. #12mekanik2022-09-22 11:10

    Was it by chance a 10mm?

  13. #1356wrench2022-09-22 11:34

    I guess that snake thought he needed some bling too

  14. #14skyking12022-09-22 14:03

    I found a Makita quarter inch impact gun one of the newer ones in the middle of the road. The battery took a pretty good hit when it came off whatever truck it was on but it still worked.

  15. #15chidog2022-09-24 02:30

    Reminds of a dog we had, that would eat bolts and nuts I'd set aside, yeah not good for the dog or the projects.

  16. #16Vetech632022-09-24 08:23

    I have lost many a tool over the years, but I had NEVER lost an entire tool kit until a few weeks ago. Working off my bumper, in the heat, sweating my ass off, distractions galore with equipment passing me and the phone ringing. I picked up everything when I was done and headed to the next job. I got there, opened my tool bed door where I keep my Kobalt mobile ratchet/socket kit ($200.00 kit I might add) and the SOB isn't there. I had drove off from the last job and had left it on my bumper. It was scattered on the highway I'm sure............and probably cost some people a few tires and repairs.

  17. #17Old Doug2022-09-24 09:15

    It was a kingsnake to it probably looked ok red,black and chrome .I have only say 2 kingsnake they were both on that farm.