Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Priming DD Series 60 12.7 (fuel)

Labparamour · 2024-06-02 19:14

Looking for procedure to prime engine fuel system. Reason: looking to change air compressor which has fuel pump driven off back of compressor. I’m thinking of plugging fuel lines when removed from fuel pump but not sure how much might drain out and if priming will be necessary. Vehicle: ‘03 Freightliner Columbia Thanks, Darryl

Replies8
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-06-02 19:19

    Change compressor, install pump, filters will still be full, crank it over start it.

  2. #2Labparamour2024-06-02 19:35

    Thank you Mike! Usually, nothing I do is ever that easy, which is why I asked. Thanks again!!

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-06-02 19:40

    I normally just remove the three pump retaining bolts, pull pump back, let it hang without disconnecting fuel lines.

  4. #4Labparamour2024-06-02 19:44

    I’ll look closer but didn’t think I had much slack in fuel lines and didn’t know how much clearance to pull compressor out. That would sure make it easier.

  5. #5funwithfuel2024-06-02 19:54

    Make sure the compressor discharge hose has a gradual decline back to the drier. Otherwise bad things will happen come wintertime

  6. #6cfherrman2024-06-03 00:58

    I've been doing this to a series 50 that had a leaky line causing it to lose prime the last few weeks. I do think I found the issue.

  7. #7Labparamour2024-06-03 12:42

    Hope your fuel leak was easy fix. I like Truck Shop’s method and will give it a try. I wasn’t sure how much room I need to slip everything out and wa Ted to know priming method in case it bled down. Thanks for video.

  8. #8cfherrman2024-06-03 16:04

    I tightened it down Friday, it rained so I may be back tomorrow or Wednesday. There's a large length and height difference so filling the filters doesn't work very well.