Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Problem with Ether injection

watglen ยท 2014-02-05 20:12

D6R III C9 This engine is supposed to have auto injection on the ether. Doesn't seem like it is working. I screwed on a new bottle and no change. I started the engine by applying ether manually in the air intake, and it helped the start so I'm pretty sure the on-board ether isn't activating. Any way to diagnose the valve or electrical? Thanks Ken

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2014-02-05 20:21

    Ether is enabled and disabled with ET. Pound to a penny it's disabled.

  2. #2watglen2014-02-05 20:32

    Answered my own question. FYI http://www.quickstart-ether.com/support

  3. #3watglen2014-02-05 20:34

    I'll pull the valve off tomorrow, clean it, and check the two-wire connector with a voltmeter to see if I am getting a signal. Based on their website, it looks like the system is pretty simple, easy to troubleshoot and get going if its just a stuck valve etc. Thanks Nige

  4. #4oarwhat2014-02-05 21:04

    On mine the nozzle would get plugged up once in a while.

  5. #5watglen2014-02-06 16:02

    I got the valve working, cleaned it up. Seems like its fine. Tested the leads with a voltmeter while cranking and found 0V. Tells me the ECM isn't calling for either. Time for Cat to have a go i guess.

  6. #6Nige2014-02-06 16:44

    That parameter does not necessarily require Dealer ET to change, Customer ET will also do the job - just in case you have someone close by who has a copy.

  7. #7watglen2014-02-06 17:00

    Where would someone, say, like me, come by something like, say, customer ET? looks like there is lots of discussion around it on other boards. Thanks Nige ... again I've been on HEF for years now, and only just now came across the Caterpillar/lithium board. Weird how things hide.

  8. #8Nige2014-02-06 17:09

    Acquiring the Customer version of Cat ET (allows you to do everything apart from install flash software) by "normal" means via the Cat Dealer is not cheap. TBH I don't know how we would manage without it. We have 5 ET licences. There are all sorts of posts on HEF about "abnormal" means of getting the same thing but I have no idea how they work, or even if they work.