Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

problem with Ford 7710 Diesel engine – head gasket leak on back right side

ELDO ยท 2020-04-13 21:34

Things I have done that hasn't helped the leak: replaced head gasket - had the head surfaced -replaced back head bolts just in case they were stretched - reassembled and still leaked in same place. Removed head again - removed the engine and had the block decked- while engine was out had it rebuilt - reassembled and leak slowed but still present. What am i missing or any ideas what I can try next? There was no visible cracks, when the engine warms up it leaks, when its cold it doesn't leak. Is there any kind of a stop leak that will prevent the leak even if temporary?

Replies3
  1. #1thepumpguysc2020-04-14 06:24

    What kinda leak is it.. oil, water.?? Check to see if its leaking thru a bolt thread.. Then check to see if the bolt hole has a bottom to it or if its an open passage.. I made that mistake on a water pump bolt.. I had a leak so I went & bought a new water pump & gasket.. After several hours of complete back breaking work I fired it up, only to see it dripping underneath.. dammit.!! Come to find out, the bolt hole was drilled into a water passage & it was leaking thru the threads.. Some pipe dope on the threads took care of the {original} problem.. IF the head was decked & the block was decked.. it might not be those 2 items..?? Are u RE-torquing the head bolts after a warm-up.?? THAT might take care of the problem.??

  2. #2ELDO2020-04-14 18:59

    The leak is water on the outside suspecting compression leak into the water jacket on the inside, there is no water in the oil. The radiator cap lifts and water comes out of the overflow. Two head gaskets were installed, each time the head bolts were retorqued three times after warm up the head was surfaced before the first gasket was installed when the issue continued the block was decked and another head gasket installed. Water still is seeping from the same spot. Thanks for your input, any other thoughts come to mind?

  3. #3Tenwheeler2020-04-14 21:23

    Probably a crack on pin hole in the head or block, provided no bolts are bottomed out. Not much on sealant stuff but I tried some different things on a IHC 1066 once. This worked on it. Flushed the cooling system and and only water. Added water glass? sodium silicate? Hooked it to a disc harrow and ran it hard all day. Drained the radiator and block. Parked it for two weeks. It ran for years after that. That stuff can - could be bought at the drug store. I bought something like KD block seal but did not shake it up. Pored all of the clear liquid in and very little of the special sauce the settles to the bottom. Concerned about stopping up the radiator. Manuals on some engines say to put sealant on head bolt threads. Possible as mentioned.