Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Problem with horn (Komatsu)

njcscrap ยท 2013-10-15 10:19

I bought a used 1999 komatsu pc200lc6, 4200 hours, great shape. Anyway, the horn does not work. I first check the fuse, fuse is good. I take the two horns off and test them, they make some noise (they were in terrible shape), so I buy new ones and slap them on, no noise. I disassemble joystick, looks good, everything seems to be in good shape. I pull out my test light and check the connectors, no power coming from wires. I check the fuse box and theres power for the horn 'slot', anyone have any ideas or suggestions. :Banghead

Replies2
  1. #1rfedistribution2013-10-15 19:33

    Work from the powered fuse and follow the wires. It's a pain staking process but it's what we do at the dealership. Nobody likes an electrical nightmare- I feel your pain. Another point is that it's probably as simple as your positive being grounded somewhere -so look for breaks or deterioration where the wire could be grounding out. Good luck.

  2. #2joispoi2013-10-16 17:54

    The right way to fix it is to pull the fuse panel and see what's going. The fast way to fix it is to make a jumper to get power over to the supply side of the fuse. Good luck with it.