My john deere 440a winch is driving me crazy. It will not stop trying to roll its self up when i put it in the freespool position . It works fine except for this. Can anybody help me with some advice.
I had a 440a myself years ago. It sounds like the clutch on the winch is dragging.....out of adjustment? If you shut the engine off will it freespool nicely? Fire it up and the winch reels in on it's own? Sounds like the adjustment is out. I had a lot of fun, drug a lot of logs with mine. Good luck.
thanks , how do i adjust the clutch. i know how to adjust the brake but not the clutch. again , thanks for the help
It's been 25 years and lots of machines since then...........I believe the clutch disc is on the drive line right in front of the winch. I don't remember, but I believe you pull a pin then rotate the clutch disc....? Re install the pin. If you go too much your clutch will slip. I'd adjust it a little bit at a time. I hope that helps. I know someone on the HEF knows better than I, but that might give you a place to start. It is a real simple system, so even if you don't have a manual if you pay attention you can figure it out.
I'm not sure if I should be starting a new thread for my problem but it is related to the JD 440 Skidder winch as well. Oil continues to leak from the filter located on the passenger side of the yoke pin.I believe the filter is inline to the winch.This problem persists even after having tightened on a new filter. I removed it again today for inspection and it appears to be OK.However the oil was milky and a little frothy.I am wondering if this could be related to the issue of a dirty screen at the suction end?Perhaps to much pressure building up ?I am not having a free spool problem (although that 5/8 main line sure is a lot heavier than it used to be) The winch no longer holds the load high off the ground as it used to...kind of like me and my feet.Can anyone shed some light on this issue?