I am looking at an excavator in OH being auctioned. I would like it inspected this week. I can not get there. Is there anyone who does this service that anyone here can recommend? I am calling the distributor for NA as I imagine they do not have that many of these units in the country. I am calling the auction house for info. I would like to hire someone for an onsite inspection as well. Has to be this week because the auction is this week. Alex Lyon & Son lyonauctionlive.com
I can’t help you, but where you planning on shipping? That is a big boy machine and definitely going to cost a pretty penny to move.
TN/KY border north of Knoxvillle. I assume 2 trucks, one for the machine, one for the 20-30k counterweight.
Looks like the track chains are stretched out pretty bad
the sprockets match up to that wear too. Not at all surprising with those hours. FYI in the bad old days we would load the 25K counterweight off the Lorrain crane into a tandem dump truck and run with it loose. If you have a tandem you could do that, and weld a couple of eyes into the corner of the bed to make it the "good new days" EDIT: here is the counterweight weight. https://www.sanyamerica.com/wp-cont...-large-excavator-4pg-specsheet-02-09-2023.pdf Hydraulic removable counterweight 9.7 kg (21,380 lbs) very possible in a tandem truck. That leaves the transport weight at 99K 11'11" wide 12'8" high.
Is that hydraulic oil or diesel all over the opposing idler and final?
I’m betting 10k or more just to get the thing shipped. Heavy haul trucks, wide load permits, crane rentals. Just keep all that in mind.
Someone suggested to me it likely came from the engine area when the machine was rotated. Was it from maintenance or is there a decent leak? The underhood pics make it all look clean.
I figured $10-15k, $10k for a hydraulic thumb, $10k to get the MIL's sorted, $20k for undercarriage. That is $50k, and likely overshot by $10-15k. So, if it can be had for $60k I can be in a decent machine for under $100k. It may all be a moot point though as I am unable to get anyone from the auction to return my calls and give me even the most basic info.
It had a self lowering counter weight. That's always nice. No equipment required for loading and unloading. Just make sure you have a big enough socket for the bolts.
I looked at the pick chart and it appears it can load it's own counterweight over the nose OK.
One of the questions I have, but no one will call me back. Will the stick pick up the counterweight when the counterweight isn't installed? As in, can the machine do the job by itself...
I bet it would with the bucket off, and you didn't try to load it too far away. You would be better off to call the former owner than the auction house. Auction house won't know anything. FYI, the sany cranes I've been around are not great machines with poor parts support. The "local" sany dealer had several excavators rented out here local in the last year, none of the contractors that I spoke to that rented them, were remotely interested in buying one after the rental. Resale on the sany's falls off a cliff.
If it does no do a derate based on a sensor, it can pick its own counterweight no problem according to the chart. I get that by looking at over the side and over the idler numbers. When they do not change then the lift capacity is based on a hydraulic bypass condition and nothing else. This means that working over the idlers you have no tipping issue picking the counterweight without the weight on.
Any independent mechanic service local to the auction house, should be able to do a inspection for a couple hours labor charge. If you can't find a independent, I'd probably use a Cat/ deere dealer tech.
I am waiting at the bottom of the cliff I will bring this machine to my acerage and put a couple hundred hours per year on it if it works financially.
sany, run.............................................
I can't imagine buying a major purchase like that without being up close and personal with it and also with someone very experienced to help fully inspect it. It's still going to cost 10's of thousands of $$$$. If I really needed it, it would be a priority to look at it in person.
Unless you are loading it in a dump truck, you shouldn't have to pick it up at all. https://www.google.com/search?q=Exc...ate=ive&vld=cid:d61bc4d8,vid:alEyzdlOvds,st:0
Alex Lyon & Son lyonauctionlive.com
More than you wanted to invest.
I personally reckon you avoided a bullet, by not becoming the owner.
Or maybe he got it, I'm not really sure?
Winning bidder location on the auction site, says "Holmesville". Ianjoub says his location is Homosassa. I can find "Holmesvilles" in IN, NY, NC, GA, MS, LA, NE and OH, but there's no Holmesville in FL.
no, I passed on bidding on it. I could not get anyone to call me back from the auction.
I also think you’re better off without the sany. No resale isn’t a problem until you need to resell it. I know you’re not planning on selling it, but life sometimes throws curveballs. One medical issue for a family member, and living in the sticks may not work. Or you need to be closer to a sick parent, whatever. Be nice to get out of it the same or more than you gave for it, which is much more likely with cat/Deere/ Volvo etc
I looked at this one in person and am the leading bidder right now. I just can't figure out what the bracket welded on the stick is for. Alex Lyon & Son lyonauctionlive.com
Did you get it? It says bidding closed.
In one ear and out the other I see
no, my bid was a steal it price. If I won for the amount I bid, life would have been good
IF you win it check with these guys for a thumb kit. https://solesbees.com/contact/ Hunt tractor might have something used, not this one but they have a few. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/225588849/cws-thumb
It is over and not mine. I bookmarked that page, thanks.
I like this one https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/227549743/2016-volvo-ec220el-crawler-excavators This is ready to work, nice thumb, tracks not bad. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/226723419/2009-deere-200d-lc-crawler-excavators A little more machine, a little less track condition but I would try working it. progressive plus quick change is nice if you get a cleanup bucket. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...7/2013-hitachi-zx290-lc-5n-crawler-excavators
I don't understand being willing to put $100k into the sany, with 6,000 hours on it. When your $100k would buy you a better machine with half the hours on it. Likely with a thumb already attached, decent undercarriage, and that would bring good money resale when you are done with it.
I am having trouble finding low hour machines in the size range I would prefer at the price range I would like to be in. I would love to get something in the 3k hour range.
how about my examples up there ready to go and not too much trucking? I am fond of turn key solutions.
higher hours than ideal, but I did bookmark them for reference.
It could be a perfect example of machine condition and maintenance performed rather than what the hour meter shows. A 6 or 7000 hour well maintained machine with still tight pins and maintenance records would be better than a 3000 hour machine with sloppy pins and questionable maintenance. Who the previous owner was could also give some good insight into how well a machine was taken care off. If you've got money available for repairs you might save a lot of money buying a machine with a little more hours and fixing issues as they come up. It might not need anything for 2 or 3000 hours.
My problem there is the machine is 600 miles from where I live. I go from FL to TN to work. If something breaks, by the time I fix it or arrange to have it fixed, my trip is wasted.
There could be repairs needed on any used machine. Even on new machines there can be odd things that need to be fixed.
I understand that. Hopefully a little more $$ up front will save me downtime down the road.
Paying a little extra for something that needs little or no work, is worth the grief it saves. Always good to get a 2 ounce sample from the planetaries, hydraulics and engine. I did this for a guy who wanted to buy a machine and we found out that the planetaries that had just had the oil changed still had 10 times the allowable iron and silica in them. He walked away from the perfect buy without any stress for about $400 total time and samples. Remember a couple hundred dollars is chicken scratch compared to a new planetary, or hydraulic pump problem. That is my suggestion. Simon C
Anyone have any general info on these? Pre DEF? 2013 KOMATSU PC360 LC-10 https://www.equipmentfacts.com/listings/construction-equipment/auctions/online/226946149/2013-komatsu-pc360-lc-10
Lots of guys would know, @John C. @LACHAU are a couple of guys that come to mind. One of the forum members has one that he has rebuilt completely. I wonder what year he has? EDIT LOL Go search 'komatsu PC360" here Look at all the troubles that they have with the -10 One guy reported getting one over another machine and is happy. @Dirt Butcher how is that 360 doing for you, 10 years later?
For your purposes I would go pre-emissions based on the KISS principle. Nothing triggers issues with complicated systems better than infrequent use. It is annoying as all get out, but the complicated stuff treats you better with regular use.
Any particular reason you want such a big machine? They burn a lot of fuel and wear out a lot of expensive undercarriage. And take big expensive parts, and you need big equipment to work on them. Most larger excavators, used, have been in hard use production work, because that’s what you need such a big excavator for. Either time constraints on big road projects, or mining heavy production. No “light use” in the big machines. 100,000k would buy you such a better machine, in a much easier to haul 40-50,000lbs package .Which would actually be easier to sell when you’re done with it. Without haul trucks and lots of other help, how can you make the case for such a large ex.?
My understanding is this is a fun machine for a large acreage that needs some big doings, stumping and the like. He does not intend to move it after it gets there, so that is not an issue.
I want a toy. Bigger toys are better than smaller toys. I will likely put less than a few hundred hours per year on it. Fuel costs: it is what it is. I won't fly to Ibiza this year if I spend too much on diesel I have some acreage. It is going there. It will move there, and maybe move out some day if I sell off or die. This is not a business. I can afford repairs if needed, though I would like to avoid expenses as much as anyone else. I do want something that will work more than sit and need things fixed, but am not willing to commit to a new machine. That doesn't make sense to tie up that sort of money and realize that sort of loss in the end.
By the way, this searching and research is half the fun. It occupies my time. I am serious, and will buy something. I am not here just to waste everyone's time. I do enjoy 'the process' though.