A while ago I inquired if it was worth fixing up an older tandem dually trailer. It needed some work done and probably all new tires. The consensus was it wouldn't be worth putting the money in to fix it and I'd just lose my money. I recently rented a small trailer to pick up the ripper I bought. My skid steer trailer was loaded with stuff so I couldn't use it. Anyway I've known the trailer shop since 1994 when I traded a welder for my skid steer trailer (that I welded) after it came out of the jig. I asked them about my big trailer and what I should do with it. I figured with the work it needed I'd be lucky to get $3000 at an auction. They said to take some pics. of it. They were quite impressed that the paint was good and said the trailer is actually in good shape. Originally I was going to work on it in their yard and they'd do the wiring and stuff I wasn't good at. They would help me sell it and could put it in their rental fleet until it sold and the rentals would go partly into paying for the repairs. A pretty good deal for me. They had some magnetic lights and safety chains they loaned me. I got an in-transit permit and brought the trailer to their yard. Once they saw the trailer they were more impressed. Said the trailer should be worth at least $13,000! Then the owner said he'd buy it and keep it in the rental fleet. He's 65 and said we're both too old to be working on stuff like this. Then he said he'd just buy it outright and give me $10,000! That's a hell of a deal and I don't have to do anything! I'll use the money to pay off my property. WOW.
Great news Dave. It's nice to get a lucky break once in a while!
The big hole in the front member is where the jack ripped out. I initially had the bolts on a 4" hitch extension break and it ripped the tube from the jack hitting the ground but the jack was still on and could hold the empty trailer up. My neighbor in his late 70's was using it to haul bales and I have no idea where the jack went. He couldn't see very good and did some other damage as well like bending the rub rails and destroying the electrical junction box on the other side of the ripped apart tube. I wasn't happy but didn't say anything because he let me take about 700 yds. of sand from his back field. The ripped tubing was a weak point anyway because it's only 1/8" wall tubing. The trailer has a 22,000lb. GVW. I'm so glad I talked to the trailer shop owner and blown away I can get my money back out of the trailer. It sure helps when I only get $1100/month in disability and my MX track has been under water for about 5 weeks. It's open this weekend though. I didn't want the trailer but it was a package deal when I bought my track loader. I think the seller valued the trailer at $10,000 back in 2000 when I bought the Cat. It's a lot later but I would have never guessed I'd get my money back with a trailer that needed a bunch of work. I think a new equivalent trailer is $20 to $25,000. Another option was I'd do some of the work and they'd tried to sell the trailer for up to $15K and I'd get more money but I'd have to pay to get the repairs done I couldn't do. I had no idea the trailer was worth that and $10,000 outright is a blessing that doesn't happen very often if ever. I must have had an angel looking over me lately. I found a ripper for under $1000 and can get $10,000 for the trailer as is. I better buy a lottery ticket.
Dave you hit a bases loaded home run!!!!
I think the shop realizes how much the steel would cost and the labour to build a similar trailer. They used to build very good trailers but they couldn't compete with cheap trailers coming from the US. A lot people didn't want to pay extra for a better built trailer if the cheaper ones would work... for a while.
Yes there are alot of light, cheap trailers. I wont buy one for sure. Jbm
Below are some pics i had my friend send me on the 1977 D9H that i am considering. Thanks! Honky Cat You will notice the surface rust on the old girl. None of it is rotting through causing serious metal work. Cat paint is expensive but hopefully paint is the major upgrade needed to get her back to stardom? Hoses are all pretty good he says with no leaks on cylinders or hoses coming apart. There is an oil leak on on of the valve covers and a mechanic is scheduled to check and correct it and check air system, replace filters, etc. Check planetary’s, filters, oil condition, etc. Tomorrow is the checkover by a knowledgeable mechanic that will make the deal or keep looking. Thanks Guys for your help! Honky Cat
More pics.
Last 2 pics. Remember, the paint needs sanding down rust then primer, paint. What is the original Caterpillar paint code or name to keep her the same vintage style? Input is appreciated! Respectfully: Honky Cat
I have read somewhere that the vintage D9H paint is called: Caterpillar Highway Yellow. Is this correct? I know the vintage 1977 color is alot more yellow than paint on current models. Thanks: Honky Cat
It's usually called old Cat yellow.
Thanks Dave! Honky Cat
Dave i found a crossover paint page on the internet and Ditzler has the “Highway Yellow” which had a long run, 1960’s - 1980 on those vintage tractors. Ditzler and Chrysler are the only carriers of the same code of paint. I found out that Cat farms their colors and primers out to alot of Paint manufacturers. Thanks: Honky Cat
Those trailers don't sell as well around here vs tilt trailers. Seen several go for 5-6k
Caterpillar Highway Yellow DT2107 80979 Cat#94878 Caterpillar New Yellow 88046
Got the paint specs in here for anybody else that may be searching for vintage Caterpillar paint colors. Ditzler and Dupont are the carriers for the correct color. I said in the last post Chrysler and Ditzler, i was wrong about Chrysler. My apoligies. Thanks Honky Cat
I think you posted in the wrong place. This is about a trailer.
I started this thread. Sorry Honky Cat My friend Dave told us about his trailer.
You could start a new thread with the Cat paint codes you found. It could be helpful for a lot of members.
Take it on Dave i dont know wherr to put it. Honky Cat
In the general industry forum. Title it "Cat paint codes".
Dave am i posting on the wrong forum? If so i will call support and see if they can move my posts to the Dozer section. I thought i was on the correct placement. Thanks Honky Cat
You are posting in the thread I started in general industry about my trailer. I was suggesting you make a new thread in general industry about paint codes. It can get confusing sometimes when responding to different posts. The D9 you're looking at looks pretty good for its age.
Any trailer thats not a gooseneck dosent sell very high here . $6000.00 would be tops here. I have been looking for a trailer and if i had a better pickup i think i could buy some trailers out of state and resale them here. Its a funny market.
Thanks Dave. Honky Cat
Hard to pull a gooseneck with a dump truck though.
Not with the right hitch .