Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

progressive link vs on axle thumb

BigEv ยท 2022-02-08 09:16

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the Pros and Cons of progressive link vs on axle (stick pivot) hydraulic thumbs and if it's worth the extra money over a regular hydraulic thumb. I think I get it theoretically (pro link follows constant pressure for 100% of bucket rotation while the "on axle" or stick pivot is around 50-75% of the bucket rotation depending on brand). Am I missing anything? Any examples when one shines over the other or when that 30% difference is troublesome? Thanks in advance!

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2022-02-08 10:30

    I am a big advocate of pro link. I believe that it is huge improvement over a direct link thumb. The increase in thumb articulation allows you to fully grab from farther away. Allows you more finesses in how grab objects. Doesn't pinch as bad as a direct link, so when moving culverts and other round objects it creates less chance of damage. The extra mechanism gives you another grease zerk. I have never broken a prolink. They cost more, sometimes a lot more depending on who you work with. But over the lifetime of an excavator they give back a lot more than they cost. The Prolink set up needs more stick length because of the extra articulation. So smaller machines may not have the ability to run prolink.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2022-02-10 21:24

    What size machine. I think for smaller machines a regular thumb is all that is needed.

  3. #3skyking12022-02-10 23:14

    in most cases it is all that is offered from the manufacturer. If you do a lot of grabbing stuff, a progressive is completely worth it. your range of grab is so much better and the ability to hold things through a wide range, and place things straight out away from you.

  4. #4Canuck Digger2022-04-23 14:21

    Depends on what you do and how often you use it. Once you have a pro link, you'll never go back. I'd say an anything 5/6 ton and up its worth it, but again, depends on what you do. Some of the situations where a pro link is superior is rock walls, grabbing brush piles etc. Cheers,

  5. #5John C.2022-04-24 14:06

    The other nice thing about a progressive link is that it will extend out to the same line as the stick and close against the stick. Most of the direct connects on a short stick will only extend to a 90 degree angle to the stick.