Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

propane skid steer w/hydraulic hammer

John Banks ยท 2006-08-02 18:32

Hello all: Does anyone have a resource for propane powered skid steers in the New England region? I need to run a machine inside a building and it can not be diesel powered, even with a scrubber. it must be propane powered as the building will be occupied and operational 24 hours a day. I need to run a hammer to break up some thick concrete footings, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried United Rental, Penn Rents, and some local guys, nothing so far...

Replies13
  1. #1digger242j2006-08-02 20:17

    Have you tried the Bobcat dealer? I only ever ran one propane powered skid steer, and it was a good while ago, and I was working for somebody else, but my recollection is that he rented it from the dealer.

  2. #2Nac2006-08-02 20:28

    I know the united rentals (Elmwood Park, NJ) in my area use to have a propane bobcat

  3. #3Dozerboy2006-08-02 21:05

    What about running one off Bio diesel?

  4. #4Steve Frazier2006-08-02 22:37

    Bio-diesel would still make carbon dioxide. I'm not aware of any gas powered skid steers manufactured. You might have to look for a converted mini.

  5. #5Dwan Hall2006-08-02 23:09

    You may also check into an electric one. or an electric excavater with hammer.

  6. #6bobcatuser2006-08-03 00:32

    I did a similar job inside a bottling plant using my s185 with a breaker. We surrounded the work area with large tarps attached too the roof and floor with 3 fans sucking the air out the loading bay door. Having the area enclosed and the fans running created a vacuum. The exhaust and dust was not a problem, but the manager required us to wear hairnets.

  7. #7CT18fireman2006-08-03 11:52

    There is a company that makes and electric dingo type machine. Runs off a big extension cord. I can't think of the name right now, but I will search around tonight. Of course finding a rental may be another issue.

  8. #8Nac2006-08-03 19:01

    Have you looked into rent a Brokk they are electic. What exactly are you trying to do?

  9. #9itsgottobegreen2006-08-03 20:32

    How about a toro dingo, kanga mini loader, boxer powerhouse, Finn mini tracked loader or a ram rod. They are gas powered and can handle a hammer. I bet one of them has a propane powered kit. :yup

  10. #10John Banks2006-08-04 15:03

    thanks guys. We have to break up a lot of concrete floors and footings in an office building. Some of the concrete is fairly thick and of course they want no diesel fumes at all. I'm not sure the scrubbers are going to work well enough, but they may have no choice. The company runs 24 hours a day 6 days a week. We'll most likely have a sunday crew there anyway, but this one is going to be a bit of a challenge, especially with no easy way to ventilate.

  11. #11Nac2006-08-04 18:17

    John did you look into a Brokk Demo robot it is electric and can get up to a 1,200 lb hammer on it

  12. #12CEwriter2006-08-12 21:16

    See Brokk here: http://www.brokk.com/

  13. #13big builder2007-03-14 19:53

    IHI makes an electric mini excavator. Finding one might be difficult. I would think only through dealers.