Hi there - I'm in need of replacing my coolant as I drained it trying to access a bolt to change my fan bolt - which in the end turned out to be the wrong bolt - anyway, I went to automotive store to pick up some antifreeze and there were literally 10 different types from the same manufacturer - identified by color such as pink, red, green, gold, blue, yellow etc. Maybe a marketing thing I don't know. While at the store I did a search and found the following thread (posted at the bottom) which didn't exactly jive with the mechanic at the auto store. He said I should buy the one made for Diesel engines and it would be red (not sure why diesel engine would be different as don't they all just try and cool and the block ??). The thread below says I should use ethylene glycol and that it should have SCA/DCA in it. The stuff mechanic suggested I use doesn't mention that its ethylene glycol and says its a hybrid that doesn't require an initial charge of SCA or coolant extender. I've heard you can run into all sort of problems if you don't use the right coolant. Any insight into what people use would be great... Thx (Mechanic suggested product below) (thread in this forum regarding coolant) HeavyEquipmentForums
I recommend a conventional “ heavy duty” low silicate, low TDS coolant with included SCA (supplemental coolant additive). Like Cat DEAC concentrate. Or, Cummins ES Complete. Or NAPA Heavy Duty. I would avoid using a OAT type coolant in that engine. For reasons.
The stuff in your picture is a organic acid based coolant. OAT. I wouldn’t use it in your engine. It can damage old head gasket designs, pre 98 or so. For reasons.
Okay - Thanks. Perhaps I will swing by the Case dealer and see what they have in stock....for double the price
Cummins is Fleetguard ES Compleat, blue lablel and liquid (NOT compleat OAT, red label and liquid) or Peak Fleetcharge is SCA precharged also.
Sheepsfoot is one of the most knowledgeable Case techs that ever posted on HEF. Here is his advice on your coolant question. -----> HeavyEquipmentForums
I use this
The reason I recommended a conventional, non oat coolant for that vintage of an engine, is because the elastomer overlays used on gaskets in the old days, were not compatible with carboxylic acid. I talked with Felpro about when the big changeover was taking place in the late 90’s. Felpro had 80% or more of the OEM biz in that time period. Felpro changed their formulation in 98-99 to a more robust elastomer. Even to this day, Cummins has issue with OAT specifically with N14 head & rocker box gadgets. Yeah, OAT, ELC, whatever is awesome. But, not always the best choice. Your mileage will vary.
I use the Delo ELC on a regular basis. Good product. There are many other brands that pour out of the same tap in Texas. Havoline, Texaco, Caterpillar, Mack, TRP, Volvo and some house brands. Woodlands TX, I believe. Thats what the Chevron Texaco Corp shipping manifest says.
FYI, if someone is working at a parts store they are not a mechanic and if they claim to be they were not very good. I would never take their advice.
I have a friend with a large fleet of diesel engined machinery. He doesn't replace coolant often enough. He's had corrosion of wet sleeves to the extreme a couple have rusted through. I'm no expert, I use anti corrosion anti freeze labeled long life.