pretty much undecided about getting steel tracks like Grouser or Mclaren........................heard some interesting negative comments about getting tracks for my bobcat............not one local i know here uses them, which makes me wonder how good they really are............. I can see that things like a nail in the tire with tracks on, or a rock getting caught between the track and tyre and crushing the rim sound like a nightmare, and even more so if your on a hard to get to location with the machine........... The other comment which put me off was that tyres spin inside the track when wet ? ................surly with correct tensions this does not happen? And what are the chances of getting a rock stuck between the tyre and track which is so strong that it wont crush or fall through the track , which then either causes the rim to crush or track to break? Any other potenial problems anyone has had.......................and what about some positive stuff about them?? Really undecided..........I like the grouser bar tracks as they look pretty strong, and i would think give me more traction on slopes/ wet slopes and minor mud slosh............but really are tracks really worth it, as to the trouble they can cause??
I have a set of Loegren Trail Blazers. I don't use them often but when you need them you need them. The set I have is for a CASE 95XT/465. The machine will crawl up a sand berm with those tracks on (high floatation design). You cant drive on asphalt with them without causing severe damage to the asphalt. I have never had a problem with crushing a rim, or slipping, proper tension will prevent that. After doing some severe side hilling it chunked up the tires a bit. They take about 20 min. to put on. If you used in the right application which is mud, sand and the like they are the ticket. Just remember you need to stay in the dirt with them. They take a little more power to run. They add stability and floatation to your machine and add a little more ROC as well. I have gotten a flat tire with those tracks on and that is a PINA. You have to remove the track to get the tire off obviously. It adds some time and ass tax to changing a tire. If you go that route and will use them a lot I would consider going to Mclarens airless tire. You will spend about $5500 dollars give or take for the tracks and tires but at least you would not have to worry about flats or chunking up a tire. Tracks can be a solution some problems like traction and floatation but can add other issues depending on your application.
Before I got my VTS system, I had grouser steel tracks. I got to where I could put them on by myself in about 20 minutes and take them off in 10. They add a lot to what you can do and since the grousers are heavier than most steel tracks they improved the stability when lifting heavy loads considerably. I once got a flat with them on and just rotated the tire until the culprit was centered between the tires and plugged it and aired it up. It was not that big a deal. It was on a front tire which I could elevate with the bucket and that helped. I don't know if I would have been so lucky with a rear flat.
I have run the Grouser steel tracks on a New Holland 170 and Loegering steel tracks on a Case 440. The bad is having to be careful about blacktop or concrete, even running across grass can track. I thought the Loegering tracks went on quicker than the Grouser. I had a flat with NH but the dealer was suppost to have the tires filled with foam so my salesman ate the service call for the tire shop on that. I was told that some brands don't approve foam filled tires and over the tire tracks, check with your dealer. On the Case I had a stick get come around and bend the loader hyd. lines, nothing bad but got new lines at a later date. One 'con' would be the sqeaking, both made some noise. I have always been told to allow some sag in the tracks, haven't had any problems that I can think of with wheel spin. I think for the money the steel tracks are worth it, it depends what type of work you do. Good luck
steel tracks I had a Case skidsteer and we were doing a job that the whole area was wet/muddy. I couldnt do it without getting stuck, so I saw these steel tracks on eBay and bought them. I think they were around $1400 plus S&H I installed them and it was like a little bull dozer, but you still can get stuck. I do alot of earth work and I wore out that set in about 6 months and I ordered another set. About the flat tires, I had three flat tires on the first set and as someone else said it a PITA to get it fixed. Everytime I was in a bad area that I couldnt change it there, had to pull it to a good area, or keep messing until I got it to a good area. Everytime the tire came off the rim, so it wasnt an easy plug job. I did get smarter and had the tires filled with foam, of course more money. The tracks wears the tires, if you let them spin any. If you use them a bunch, you need to keep them tight, the kind I had, I wore the attach bolts out, preety quick (4 months) I replaced them and the next thing was, it elongated the holes the bolts went in, thats when I trashed them. The add on tracks are a nice addition, like adding a grapple or 4-1 bucket to the equipment. They (in my opinion) are not made to be used all the time and in a harsh enviroment. They are bad on your wheel bearings (had to replace all 4 hub bearings) After a few times, changing them, its not too bad, better to do on solid foundation. SO, before I would spend $5000 (as someone else quoted) on a set of steel tracks, I would take that money and your skidsteer and trade it in on a machine with tracks. I found a Takeuchi for $15,000, its been a good worker and the rubber tracks are still good (18 months hard use)I will never have another wheeled skidsteer. Take a look at the skidsteers most people have now in construction, they are mostly track units. Just my 2 cents worth, but if you spend all that money on steel tracks, you probrably will be sorry, now if you dont intend to use it that much, it will last you a long time, but Im talking construction work. If you want, I can find out where I got my set from and you can start out, with a smaller investment to see how it works. I have also send used sets on Ebay and other dealers. Before you buy a used set check out the bolts and the holes for wear. Again, just my experience of 20 years:usa