Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PT100 Forestry Skid plate thickness

L3akaL3 ยท 2024-10-06 08:50

After almost a year, I'm pretty much done rebuilding my PT100. I just need to replace the missing skid plates. I have a source for cheap metal plate but have no idea what thickness I need. They want over $1000 for OEM factory ones and none of the scrap yards seem to have skid plates in usable condition. I already have some 1/4 plate from when I built my welding table and some other projects but it's so heavy I can't imagine it being that thick. Can someone with a forestry model measure the thickness and let me know the next time you're doing an oil change, clean out etc? I'm ready to get a mulcher and get to work soon as the cooler weather comes but need to protect the underside before I head into the woods. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1L3akaL32024-10-14 01:17

    Nobody answered so I am ordering the cheapest smallest plate and will use that to see what the thickness should be. It is also the plate that has both sides hinged so I will be able to put the other hinges in the correct location to match. I'll post the results in case someone else runs into this issue after I receive the part.

  2. #2L3akaL32024-11-11 11:37

    So the smallest narrow plate that goes in the middle and has hinges on both sides is 3/8" thick steel plate. Both plates that attach to that one are only 1/4" thick. Strange because you would think the larger plates would be thickest for stiffness. Guess they were trying to keep the weight down. Found a broken bolt in one of the holes when trying to put these in so trying to battle that thing out now. It's stuck in there good and not wanting to come out with an easy out. Afraid to put a torch on it with so much hydraulic fluid residue on everything. Every 5 minute job is a multi hour stuck bolt away. Don't know if I can get in there enough to weld a nut to it.