Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PTO question

xrlentau6 ยท 2008-05-25 23:59

Hi all, farily new to this game although been in transport for a while. I have a tandem tipper 1991 Mitsubishi. It has a 13 speed eaton box. The PTO for the tipper is operated on a cable (which is a pain to open and close) My problem is wanting to tip and use the chains to partly hold the tailgate closed and run out my load instead of tipping in a pile. Where I run into trouble is, stop truck put in netural, engage PTO, tip load then have to disegage PTO, select gear and drive off. By the time I have disegaged the PTO and selected a gear most of the load has came out. Am I missing something or do I just have to get quicker? Thanks for any help.

Replies8
  1. #1OCR2008-05-26 03:00

    PTO question: xrlentau6, My take on this is, a tandem tipper is a " dump truck ",... and you engage the PTO with a push-pull cable... if this is correct, the PTO should be able to run all the time, when engaged, and you need a valve to control the hyd. fluid flow to your dump cylinder...

  2. #2Lashlander2008-05-26 04:03

    What kind of tail gate do you have? Is it possible to not trip it until you start to move?

  3. #3xrlentau62008-05-26 05:56

    yes and yes, it is a cable PTO, and has a seperate control valve for the fluid flow. Will have to have the local Eaton guys check it out as I warned by the dealer when I got hte truck that driving it when the PTO is running will cause damage to the gearbox. I wasnt sure about this so have been playing on the safe side and hence the question on here. Have an air operated tailgate but sometimes that gets stuck and doesnt release so I tend to make sure its released before I tip. Got caught once trying to get the tailgate open after it didnt release not fun. The trucks not perfect are pics of it on another thread, however its pretty good for what I am doing as it mainly tows my skid steer to jobs so its not like I am using it all day every day as a tipper if that was the case a newer truck would be on the wish list. Thnaks so far boys.

  4. #4Squizzy246B2008-05-26 06:51

    So your hoist stops an goes with the clutch??.....this is pretty typical, thats how our Mitsy was and same as my Isuzu. Driving it with the PTO engaged will not hurt it when you are tipping it (low speed). If you forget and leave it engaged (should be a little light on the air control) and go scooting off down the highway with it on...then there could be trouble. The air tailgate may not release if it has too much load on it.

  5. #5will_gurt2008-05-26 07:18

    Set the chains for your desired opening. Have PTO engaged and just start the dump bed in the up position ( just a small amount). Disengage clutch and put truck in gear. Then slowly take off with PTO ,dump valve engaged and in the up position. ALSO OPEN TALIGATE. You can leave the gate closed for a small amount of time. Open it before the loadshifts and wedges the gate locks. I think this is refered to as tailgateing your load.

  6. #6Bob Horrell2008-05-26 12:38

    As said before, running the pto on an eaton gearbox will cause no harm in the lower gears. If you should forget to turn it off after spreading the material, you will get a noticeable whine in the gearbox in higher gears which will remind you to disengage it. I use 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to spread depending upon the conditions and the thickness of the spread material.

  7. #7Big Iron2008-05-26 13:06

    I engage the PTO raise the box until l I hear/feel the material begin to move in the box, start moving forward, trip the tailgate and continue to raise the box while moving. as Bob said the speed will determine the thickness of the spread. I do this spreading forward and back spreading. It will not hurt the PTO at low speeds and you will hear it if you forget to disengage. I have a series of red lights on the dash that light up when either the PTO is engaged or the tailgate is open for both the truck and pup.

  8. #8rino2008-06-08 16:01

    Here's a weird setup.......... :dizzy:duh We have a Mack CL Tractor that is set up to pull a flow boy or a dump trailer. With the flow boy you engage the PTO and out comes the load on a belt. When using our quarry box, you leave the dump control in the middle, and run the PTO. The bed goes up Shift the dump control to the hold position and she stays up, to bring her down, shift the dump control back to the middle! I think this is because the flow boy is a continuous flow system returning fluid to the reservoir! Because of this function there is no direct return line to the reservoir, so it just runs the disengaged pump back wards! Like I said "WEIRD"!!!:crazy:beatsme