Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pucker Factor

d6peg · 2008-12-05 20:00

I have very little exp. with a hoe, but there is no way that I would every try this. Sorry if this has been posted before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGzBvSmn-w&feature=related

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies39
  1. #1Red Bank2008-12-05 21:08

    Why was he using such a small bucket, what was the trench for and I am pretty sure he overloaded the tandem dump truck?

  2. #2Dirtman20072008-12-05 21:25

    That looks like a good way to kill yourself. I've span some trenches before, but never with only 8-12" of track on the other side of the trench wall. Can you imgine what you happen if the wall caved in and the machine flipped over on the operators side? First he would probably get flung out the open door and have the machine land on him, we all know which one will win. Not for me.

  3. #3stock2008-12-05 22:02

    They have so many of our safety regs broken that, the driver of the truck,the excavator operator,ganger,foreman,project supervisor construction stage, would all be ran off the job with most of them requiring retraining before being allowed to work construction again.

  4. #4wingnut2008-12-05 22:05

    There is no way in heck I would put myself or a employee in that possition !!!! He has more guts than brains if you ask me ...... For that matter , He has no brains ....

  5. #5Reuben2008-12-05 23:53

    That is ridiculous...I have also spanned plenty of trenches and ditches that way before but that is just plain asinine.If our trucks were EVER loaded that way it would be the last bucket he ever put above our trucks. Dumped half a bucket over the side,let the dirt free fall into the truck,way over loaded. That video was meant to impress the viewer and it just made me sick. There is a big difference between A good operator and a cowboy. That guy (notice I did not refer to him as an operator) just needs the six shooter strapped on his side. HE DOES NOT EVEN HAVE HIS BELT ON......Survival of the fittest

  6. #6brandt pc4002008-12-05 23:55

    that's one way to burry a cat what an dumb ***

  7. #7swampdog2008-12-06 00:09

    I agree with all your comments. Is fool too strong a word? What surprises me is that he got away with it. I'm wondering what kind of soil he was digging in. Some of the stuff he loaded in the truck looks very dry and hard - almost like rock. Any soil that I have seen would not support that machine for a minute under those circumstances.

  8. #8digger242j2008-12-06 06:21

    It had to have been some sort of rock that he was sitting on. I mean, it it wasn't rock, they have been required to have a trench box, right? And, yeah, I'd have been a lot more impressed if the guy had told the truck driver to move three feet closer, so he could get the whole bucketful into the bed each time. Some things are just basic...

  9. #9rino14942008-12-06 06:29

    If that was my machine, he would be fired on the spot.

  10. #10stumpjumper832008-12-06 07:51

    We all argee that the way that he is running that excavator is not the way to complete that job. But what is the right and safe way? It looks like they have a long open trench that they are going to lower the pipe into once its welded or fused together, and they had some light cave in. It looks to be a pretty deep trench from the way he is reaching so you cant do it from the side with a backhoe. One safe way that I see to do it is to peel back the sides of the trench untill you can either span it safely or back a backhoe in to do it. Then your going to have to have a second machine pulling spoils away from the backhoe / excavator, or its going to go slow. Only other safe option I can think of is a dragline, and i'm not sure he can position himself right either.

  11. #11roddyo2008-12-06 08:53

    Construction South of the Border It appears to be South of the Border. Down there Macho is a big part of the culture. Who kinows, he might have got run off if he Didn't do it.:beatsme

  12. #12special tool2008-12-06 08:57

    Yup - nothing but a showboat move. He'll be a dead young showoff boy soon.

  13. #13wildcat12008-12-06 10:30

    Anyone here ever seen those tractor type backhoes that pull themselves up the side of a scrap car on a train and unload stuff out of them? That's pretty crazy too. It's probably 12-15 feet to the top of those cars.

  14. #14Eric2008-12-06 10:39

    I'm suprised it took 13 posts to figure this out!! I live 60 miles from Mexico, this is everyday for them. The bad thing is when they come to the States they bring their work ethic with em'. There is no way in hell I'd do that. Just because something can be done dosn't mean it SHOULD be done!! Last week I was on vacation and I got a call from my buddy. Seems another operator took my new 345cL over a ditch but never made it off. He is very lucky he didn't get killed. My 345 is now on it's way to salvage, 70K worth of damage. Needs a new a cab, radiator, doors etc....

  15. #15Reuben2008-12-06 11:55

    OH COME ON!!... Those set ups are by design ..I have never seen or heard of a rail car crumbling underneath the machine, that environment is extremely controlled.

  16. #16reddot5562008-12-06 13:11

    wow!! i got nervous just watching the vid!! he'd be a hero at my company, but of course if he failed he'd be a unsafe jackass. the sad thing is no one would stop him if he said he could do it..the supervisors would all of a sudden remember they had to "check" on something on the other side of the joband they'd be back later....

  17. #17roddyo2008-12-06 14:24

    South of the Border If you think that's bad you should see the wiring in their houses!!!

  18. #18Eric2008-12-06 18:59

    I know what your saying, very creative. In most of their cases necesity is the mother of invention. Do with what you have.

  19. #19EddieWalker2008-12-06 20:29

    Interesting video. Why was he doing it? To dig as deep as possible? Any idea what the trench was for and why it needed to be that deep? Eddie

  20. #20landrvrnut222008-12-07 00:00

    I have done something similar, however, in a mini, with a dozer blade for support, and usually a 2-3' deep trench. Would I ever do something that stupid, no way.

  21. #21DIGGERDOGZ2008-12-07 00:05

    itakes some balls to pull that off

  22. #22jughead2008-12-07 08:59

    i am not an operator. probably not a good lever puller but if it took that to be either i am out.

  23. #23biggixxerjim2008-12-07 11:57

    Real stupid. He needs at LEAST another 12" on each side of that trench.... a 330 would have been a much safer bet, if not a 345. Lots of stress on the track frames as well. Anybody else notice how rough and quick he was operating the machine?? If youre going to be stratling a trench like that with Your machine grabbing at 8" on either side of the track, best at least be cautious and smooth.... this guy is just a total hack.

  24. #24joispoi2008-12-08 13:59

    At least he´s not digging over the drive motors.

  25. #25special tool2008-12-08 17:35

    :bouncegri:roll:lmao:laugh:falldownlaugh ointlaugh That's funny and all...but you have to admit that it pretty ******* stupid, what that boy is doing.

  26. #26bluntman410g2008-12-08 19:40

    ointheadcrazy fool!

  27. #27stock2008-12-09 01:15

    The rule of thumb here is a meter down a meter back with spoil when stockpiling along side a trench,so by that rule there is hardly an excavator undercarriage made long enough to straddle an excavation that deep,O! dont forget the bigger the machine the heavier , the more stress on the sides of the trench the longer the carriage required. For my 2bits the two of them would have being run off any site Iwas supervised. Stock

  28. #28joispoi2008-12-10 04:37

    No question, it´s dumb. What´s the work situation like in lower Fairfield county? I used to live in Redding. -Joi

  29. #29crash12008-12-10 12:28

    Crazy! it look like a ditch in a rock

  30. #30hammerdwn202008-12-10 17:16

    i bet the end of the trench ends in the usa somewhere. theyre going to drive narrow tripple decker buses through there with sand colored tops across the border i could push him in with a digging bar.

  31. #31special tool2008-12-10 17:40

    Can't complain. Haven't had a day off in about 14 years..

  32. #32Loaderman3802008-12-10 20:05

    No need to worry about something as stupid as that here. The soil would never support the machine.

  33. #33Eddiebackblade2008-12-14 06:22

    I've been guilty of more than a few 'Heroics' in my time, and get given work on my reputation for tackling most things. However I try to stay safe, and as most of you know tackling unusual tasks is all about having good planning, the right equipment,experience and confidence. This video clearly demonstrates an operator running on excessive confidence without a good plan,the right equipment or experience. The saddest fact is that he is now feeling so pleased with that performance, he will now go on and probably kill himself or someone around him with his latest stunt. In case you wonder how I know he has little experience? Look how he manages to miss the truck most of the time and the actual quality of what he is producing. If you feel the need to die on a machine at least die doing a tidy job!!

  34. #34thejdman042008-12-20 19:56

    WOW ointhead

  35. #35d6peg2008-12-22 21:11

    I showed the wife this video and she knows nothing about dirt work and the first thing out of her mouth was "thats stupid".

  36. #36AtlasRob2008-12-23 16:06

    you mean showing her a video about moving dirt

  37. #37637slayer2008-12-23 21:38

    i think the funniest part of that vid is when the guy looks over at his bud and gives him the thumbs up sign, i thought for sure he was gonna fall in after that. it seems like from the camera angle the camera man got in the cab with him. ointhead

  38. #38cat 3852008-12-23 21:42

    ha,ha no kidding,like she needs to tell us that.

  39. #39qball2008-12-23 22:54

    man, that is crazy and stupid. everyone knows he should use a komatsu