Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pull behind compaction roller with tires for road transport?

bflobil · 2021-05-13 10:23

Hey all, I'm looking for about an 8'-9' wide smooth drum compaction roller that I can pull behind my grader. In the past I have seen a couple that have transport wheels so you can lift the roller and move quickly down a road. Anybody know of manufactures that build something like this? I do some road building and need to do some compaction and bust up sod as I build them up. Thanks in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1Raildudes dad2021-05-14 17:17

    Here's what you are looking for https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/204366777/galion-vost242 Pretty sure this is what you want. Tow behind rubber tire. I work for a county road department and we have 2 - 30? years old, and haul them with both motor graders and dump trucks. The steel wheeled ones your thinking of won't do well with sod and loose material. I'm not sure thy make them anymore, we haven't had one in 30 years. All our small steel rollers get trailered to the work site. https://www.conquestequipment.net/sales/tow-behind/2014-wrt-pt15-stk-10226

  2. #2bflobil2021-05-15 10:34

    I’m really limited on turn around space and will need to be able to back up a bunch so that extra hinge point is undesirable for me. I appreciate your thoughts though.

  3. #3CM19952021-05-15 13:06

    If you have a rear ripper on your motor grader they make roller attachments to hook on the ripper like this one - https://equipmentblades.com/products/final-pass-ii-compactor-packer

  4. #4bflobil2021-05-15 13:17

    Ya, the “walk-n-roll” is made right here in my home town of Havre, Montana. Unfortunately I have a snow wing bracket where the ripper mounts and I pry would use the snow wing more than a ripper and compaction roller. I have a ripper for it but haven’t changed it over.

  5. #5bflobil2021-05-15 13:17

    They are quite spendy as well.