Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2006 GM Van Transmission Dipstick

Birken Vogt ยท 2021-05-12 10:56

2006 big GM Van. Has 6.0L engine and 4L80 transmission. The transmission dipstick does not feel like it goes down the mile-long dipstick tube all the way. It pushes almost all the way down, then hits something and the last inch is just all springy. You can lock it down with the rubber expanding plug but it easily pops out again sometimes. I am wondering if the tip of the dipstick is purposely hitting some kind of rest in the transmission, or if it is not making it all the way to its intended spot. I can never know if the oil level is correct until I figure this out.

Replies1
  1. #1cuttin edge2021-05-12 16:45

    Is the tube still in place? Had one on a 2000 GMC van, and the tube had rusted off. The dipstick was coming out the side of the tube. I started pouring tranny fluid in, and it was going on the ground.