I am looking at purchasing an 8500 pound Sany sy35 and am having a little trouble understanding towing capacity. I want to check my math before I make a mistake. According to my 2021 Silverado 1500 crew cab short bed trailering guide, I have a GCWR of 15,000 pounds. This leaves me with a conventional trailer weight max of 9,500 pounds. By my research, I cannot find a 1,000 pound trailer capable of hauling an 8,500 pound excavator. Does this sound correct or am I misinterpreting nomenclature. Appears gooseneck over conventional trailer is no different. Thanks for the help!!!
you are correct, there is no way to tow an 8500 pound machine with a 1500. Trailers will weigh 3000~4000 pounds, with 6000 pound axles. I tow our 35 mini with a 3500 dually GMC.
Yep, 3/4 ton truck is about the minimum to tow an excavator that size. I tow my Kubota U35-4 on a 15000 GVWR trailer (empty weight of 3300lbs), behind an F-250. Handles it no problem but I wouldn't want any less truck.
As Sky and MG said - nope.
Nope.
I've seen people try it. Its ends ugly and expensive
15K behind my 350 is about all I want comfortably with the dumb ass drivers glued to their phones on the road. Brown shorts territory with a sprinkling of death wish with 10K behind a 1500.
Thank you to all who have confirmed what I suspected. It looks like I will need to budget for a bigger truck/trailer in conjunction with a bigger dirt digger. Thanks again!!!
Towing it no problem . Stopping it huge problem!!!!
Our aluminum 10000 pound trailer is 2200 empty. To make a 1000 pound trailer that could hual 8500 isn't going to happen. Trailer in question.
If the new truck and trailer blows the budget apart, look at having it hauled for you, for the first 3-6 months. Rollback wrecker, or some local with a 1 ton and a gooseneck. Then after you've made a little money, get something bought to haul it. Spread out the risk and expense.
Is this mini-ex for personal or business use?
^ what @crane operator said Rollbacks are slick for the mini exes, up through the 50. No muss no fuss no trailer.
Not for business, just for my property maintenance and personal building project. Why do you ask?
Just curious if you were needing to move it all the time and make a living with it or just move it when you want to.
If buying from a dealer he may deliver it as part of the deal if you are not super far away. AT least you can start your work at home with no additional investment.
I tow my Takeuchi TB240 (8500lbs) on a tilt trailer. The trailer is an old rental with surge brakes. The trailer has 7K axles, but rated gvw is 10K. The trailer weight I'm guessing is 2500 Lbs. I do have a CDL class A, and tow it with my International. Too heavy for my gas Chevy 3500
Unless you plan on moving it a lot, you can get it moved for $100-$150 on most moves. It goes right on a slide bed single axle tow truck. Call and get the rates for those in your area before you start buying more trucks and trailers. Think about how often you're going to move it
I am not sure how that combo would be too heavy for a gas 3500? That is 11K on a bumper pull, that should not be an issue for a gas 3500.
In the hills alittle extra truck never hurt my f150 is rated to tow 11000 it will its not fun anymore if it's more then 2 ton I just take the f750
It's all what your comfortable with I guess. I pulled 30K combined with a 2015 gas 3500 and pulled up and down mnt passes at 8000 ft. The diesels obviously pull that weight easier, but the truck itself was perfectly capable of that. I wouldn't think twice about bumper pulling 11K with a gas 3500.
It's a 2007 Chevy 3500 service truck, so it has a heavy box on it with two transfer tanks. We also have a lot of steep hills around here, and although my transmission has been upgraded, It still doesn't like that much weight. Ok, for just a few miles flat. Also, I typically have two buckets on the trailer, plus sometimes a plate compactor, orange cones etc. I do pull my track loader with it. That's a Tak 7500lb TL130
Yes an SRW tool truck does not have a lot of extra capacity left over. Especially not the way most people load them lol.
I thought this thread was going to end up like the other one. Good job OP on being reasonable and realistic.
They did! thank you for the advice.
8500 is approximately 4 metric tons. I'd bet an aluminum trailer will weigh 2500 LBS. Empty truck is going to weigh 7000 to 7500
i have hauled them that size with my 1/2 ton its fine if its just once in awile but i would get a 3/4 ton if your hauling that thing all the time
Welcome to the Forums boyd! Glad to have you. BTW - It is not OK to tow an 8,500 lb machine behind a 1/2 ton. Not enough truck for the machine + trailer weight.
If it's a 1 time move, a tow truck would be cheap. I've used a place local a few times when I didn't have time or too big, like hauling my 977. Was $180/hr.
By the book, shouldn't put ~8+k lbs on an F350 or C/K30 C&C either, but there's thousands that had rollbacks in the 80s-90s... before pickup size 1.5 and 2 ton trucks became a thing.
Fords numbers have never made since. My f550 7.3 power stoke is rated for 10,000 lbs on the deck. The axle is a Dana 135 which is rated for 13,500 lbs. Yet the truck is not rated for a big trailer like my current f450 is. I can guarantee you the spring pack and axle is stronger on the 550. It carries a gooes neck better but it so slow. They stop close to the same but I would say the 450 stops faster probably because it weighs less. The axle on a 1/2 ton truck is probably rated for 3800lbs. Ring gear and pinnons are super small.
I tow my 7500 ld Yanmar Vio35 on a 14000 gtw 18 ft equipment trailer that weighs 2400 pounds using a Ram 3500 SRW. I pull some 20% grades going into my place and it does fine on the hills in 4wd low range. A 10,000 pound rated trailer won't weigh much less. You need a bigger truck to stay spec.
the original poster figured that out over a year ago. Take a momet and read into the threads a little deeper than the OP, please.