Hi guys, I am replacing the tandem pump coupler (stripped splines) on Case 1840. It came with 8 rubber bushings which need to be inserted inside the holes in the metal coupler. This time it appears the rubber is so stiff that it will not get in those holes even when putting it inside a vice. I don't remember any such problem when I was replacing them about 4-5 years ago. I've been doing it in an unheated shop, it is now just a touch above freezing - could that be the problem? Or is there a better way of pushing those bushings inside the holes? The snow is now already all around here, I did not expect to run in such a problem and appreciate any hint or advice to get this seemingly simple task done without damaging the rubber bushings. Thanks for help.
You need some lube..... Rubber grease is best for long term protection of the bushing. Still use the vise to do the insertion. This is sounding weird...
Hello Arlman, thanks for your response. I use grease, took all the stuff inside the house, let the bushings and coupler to warm up, applied grease in and around the hole and on the bushing itself and still no go. I checked the tapering around hole in the coupler, it looks the same as in the old one so either the holes are tighter or the rubber is much stiffer. I also placed a large washer on the bushing face so the pressure is first applied on the rubber and not on the middle metal insert but the rubber will not slide inside the hole. It will squeeze but not slide. This is absolutely unexpected problem! something has changed but I am not sure what it is....
They can be a little stubborn. Using lube & vise almost fully squeezed up, I generally wriggle the plate a little & they pop in.
I also do the plate wriggling, it used to help. Compared the hole diameter - the same new and old but the taper diameter is much larger on the new one. On the first glance it appears as a good idea because it could help the rubber to slide in from larger area but because it has the same depth and therefore the angle towards the hole is not as steep it could possibly cause the rubber to "sit" in there and keep expanding sideways as the pressure increases instead of sliding down on a steeper slope?