Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pump size for clutch pump

Seaside LPS ยท 2013-01-22 16:09

Sick of electric over hydraulic power for my Switch n Go roll off system on my truck so I am updating my system and adding Central hydraulics to the truck. I have found the Deweze Kit for my motor but asks me pump size, I have the option of a 5, 7, 9, 12, 17 gallon pump? how do I figure out which is best for my setup? it will power a scissor hoist and a winch, but not at the same time, also at some point I plan to plumb it to the rear to run a spreader. Any help would be much appreciated. Ohh and the motor is a Cat 3126 in a Ford F650 Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1crash9352013-01-22 16:29

    Better off calling manufacture of the switch and go and seeing what the recomend for their equipment.

  2. #2Seaside LPS2013-01-22 17:03

    I did and sadly they couldn't answer that question for me!

  3. #3Huntoon2013-01-22 18:12

    Hi Seaside. This is what I am thinking.. thinking out loud. no inefficiencies taken into account.... be careful, vet and verify all this first: The pump flow in GPM will determine the speed at which your actuator/hyd cylinder can move/cycle. The pump will also be rated at a given pressure. Pressure is what does the work of lifting cylinder. Flow is the speed at which they do that. Horspower required is the flow(gpm)*pressure(psi)/1714. That said. I think the order of sizing should be done like this: Find out how much force is required to actuate the cylinder under full load. This will help you decide on the pressure rating of the pump. 1. Force req'd : Force= Pressure (psi) * Cyl Area (sq in.). example: load is 12000 lbs. Cylinder area is 28sqin. .... 12000lbs= X * 10 sqin. ...... x= 12000lbs/28sqin. = 428psi. 2. Speed : Flow require = 3.117*Velocity(ft/s)*Area example: you want to cylinder to travel at .1 ft/s, what flow do you need? =3.117*.1ft/s*28sqin = 8.7GPM So if you wanted to lift a 2000 lb load at .1 ft/s you would need a pump capable of 8.7GPM and 428psi. The horse power required would be 3.2gpm*428psi/1714 = 2.2 hsp. 3. Determine pump's req'd input RPM and displacement . Flow = RPM*Displacment(ci)/231 example: 8.7GPM = RPM * Disp/231. .... given and rpm of 1500: 8.7gpm=1500*disp/231........ disp = 231*(8.7/1500) = 1.34 cubic inches displacement req'd. Hope this helps... Formulas from here: http://web.applied.com/assets/attachments/779D4407-D2AE-6FAA-7DA1CEDE2268977B.pdf

  4. #4Steve Frazier2013-01-22 20:58

    I have a dump set up for snow with central hydraulics. It has an 11gpm pump that runs everything, dump hoist, side dump hoist, power angle plow and feed chain and spinner for the spreader. The two motors run simultaneously while the others are generally single function. The plow has flow restrictors to regulate the speed it operates at. This pump is plenty for my needs. If you plan a hydraulic spreader in the future make sure you get what they call "Power Beyond" valves when you do your installation. They allow the oil to flow through the valve body when the valves are parked to run the motors. You're also going to need a dial valve to regulate the feed chain/auger and spinner speeds, usually mounted between the seats

  5. #5Seaside LPS2013-01-23 21:52

    Steve, You have just become my best friend. I actually talked to Warn winch today about the series 15 winch that I have on the system and they reccomend a 15gpm pump at 2200psi that will give it the fastest spool possible. Waiting to hear back from the ram manufacturer but I am guessing they will want less and will have to put in a restrictor in. I appreciate the power beyond advice I was looking at valves and was curious on that. I am doing all electrical valves so I don't have to plumb lines into the truck. Can you reccomend any sites to buy valves and accessories? Thanks

  6. #6Steve Frazier2013-01-24 21:09

    I don't remember the name of the vendor but they always had a listing toward the back of Rock & Dirt. Full page ad, the guys there really know their stuff. When you mount your valves, shield as best as you can. I learned the hard way that the spool caps can collect debris and had to replace the whole bank of valves because they had corroded so bad. I'd suggest pulling the caps at the end of every season and clean them thoroughly to keep them running as long as possible. As you are learning, they ain't cheap, especially the electrically activated ones.

  7. #7Seaside LPS2013-01-24 21:50

    Thanks, Thats some good advice, I have a welder friend making my tank, maybe Ill have him build me a box for them to go in under the hoist to keep the elements out. What is the difference between 1 port relief and 2 port relief? I finnally figure out what they want for a pump 12-15gpm at 3000psi is what is reccommended. So i have the 12gpm and 17gpm to choose from. thinking ill play it safe with the 12gpm.