I have a friend who is selling his dozer. Am I crazy for considering buying it? I got it running after it sat for 3 years, and it started right up with a fresh battery and a small shot of starting fluid. The right track break/clutch seem to work fine but the left doesn't work at all. It has the 3cly diesel with Torque converter. It has the 6way blade which works as it should. When I went straight into a pile for a test both tracks keep pulling and dug in. My friend stated he wants $2500.00. Weight is aprox. 10,000LB. I just retired and have a Case 580C and lots of older iron that I have been able to maintain myself. The UC seems to be in good shape but I have not had any experience with track machines. I hear horror stories about no support on IH and money pits with older dozers. I am really enjoy operating tractors/equipment but not sure if I will be able to get paying jobs. A lot of my backhoe work is for friends (they don't realize the maintenance and fuel costs). Please share your honest thoughts. I'll try to post some pics. Thanks Kurly
I have absolutely zero experience with IH products but for $2500 I don't think you can go wrong with that thing. If both tracks keep pulling when you pushed into a hill I would think that the left clutch is just frozen from sitting (unless your friend had issues with it before), and you should be able to free it up by driving it into an immoveable object and pulling both steering clutch levers and eventually it should release... You may have to do that a few times... Somebody here will be able to tell you more I'm sure! Good luck.
More than 30 years ago, my dad had an old 500C loader with the HST. Thats what I learned on. I'd like to have one again just for fun and nostalga. I have heard parts can be a challenge. I'd like to see some more pictures no matter what your decision is
I would also want to have that. I want to have them on my heavy equipment collections.
Dad had one when I was younger. He ran the absolute snot out of it for years, and their place is awesome because of it. Undercarriage went south, couldn't find parts for it locally ( although it was before Al Gore invented the internet ), so it went for scrap. I'm partial to the Deere 350's, as parts are not too hard to scare up.
parts are easy Phone brown international in Armstrong Canada http://www.brownihc.com
oops