As some of you know, I've been in the market looking to upgrade to a newer machine...my question is, with the ability to look online etc, would you consider or have you bought a machine out of your area or even another state? When I look through sites like machinery trader or whatever I've found machines at some decent hours and prices I like, but not sure about doing it this way. I had a buddy that bought a machine from the Midwest, I think Wisconsin and it turned out to be pretty good machine for him. And he bought it through I think eBay without seeing it, which to me is crazy to me. Would you ever consider doing it? Better yet, if there was a machine in someone's area on here, would they look at it and offer their opinion? I'm just curious.. Thanks Josh
I've bought a few small engines and some odd construction equipment (mostly electric) sight unseen, but besides the engines it was basically assumed to need work and did. There's a big difference between different sites, some do a honest third party inspection, some sell state surplus right next to junk. I'd look at something for somebody, but the most valuable thing I could offer would be more unbiased pictures. Unless something obviously doesn't sound right or feel right, I wouldn't be able to tell if XYZ transmission is shifting a little funny, or a particular engine in a particular model seems a little underpowered.
I buy nearly all my machines out of state. Last year I did buy my first mini excavator locally, but in December I traded it in and bought a KX057 from PA. In June I bought a Mustang MTL325 from MN, in the next week or two I'm replacing it with a Kubota SVL90-2 from PA. In Julyish, I bought a small compactor in KY. I bought my F250 from AL, my F550 from West Palm Beach, FL, and the F550 it replaced was from Columbus, OH. My flatbed gooseneck is from West Boylston, MA, my gooseneck dump is from Orlando, FL. Thus far I have had all positive/great experiences. Do your homework, there are great deals to be had! I've looked at a few things for forum members. It's a great asset of the forums.
I bought my TL150 in Canada from an ad I saw it on Machinery Trader . It worked out really good. If you buy a low hour machine with the remainder of the factory warranty you shouldn't have a problem.
Like everything its up to the buyer to take whatever steps you can to minimize risk. I bought a CX 160 last year. The machine was about 6 hours away and while I went there to run it, I still paid to have the local CASE dealer check the machine out. Well worth the money in my view. I don't think you can rely on having warranty left. Most machines are 1 year bumper to bumper, maybe some have 2 years engine warranty at best.
Takeuchi has 2 year or 2000 hour full machine warranty. I'm not sure the warranty is transferrable though.
Had another look at the Takeuchi warranty. It is transferable and you have the option to purchase extended warranty out to five years. 0% finance on a new machine looks pretty good too.
Thanks guys for the advice.... Lumberjack, who or where in Pa are you getting stuff from? Also, how do you go about doing it? Do you have someone check or members from here check the stuff out? I'm really curious as to how going about doing this. Do you have it shipped to you then? Or do you go and pick it up yourself? Josh
The stuff from PA is new Kubota from Marshall Machinery. They deliver. I've never sent someone to check something out. Normally I go pick it up. If it's a truck I fly in and drive it back.
Lumberjack..so you'll drive to wherever the equipment is, check it out, and if it's what you think, you buy it right there...Have you ever went those distances and found out it's not what you thought?
Never had an issue. I have $20.5k in the dump trailer and 2 F550s. In Nov 2010 the dump and the 2000 F550 were totaled in a not at fault wreck. Insurance gave me $23k. I bought the trailer back and fixed it for $1k then bought the 06 F550 at the end of the year. The seller didn't know it was still under Ford's 200k mile warranty. I told him after I paid . There are deals out there for the taking. I bought a new track loader last year, put 250 hours on it so far, and my trade in cash offer is $1.3k less than I paid for it. My 06 F250 was $11k under NADA when I bought it in May of '11.
That's why I had started this thread because I did notice some better deals out there...Just wasn't sure how to go about it or if guys did it....So any other advice on doing it, if I find one that way? have someone go look at it maybe? One thing I do know is pics can be deceiving sometimes for sure...
What are you looking to buy?
Right now, I have an LS180....I demo'd a Case SR220...and really liked it..but I have someone trying to steer me into the Bobcats...I liked my NH and the dealer around here is great, but what I've been finding out very expensive also...Pretty much any brand you can think of, there are good dealers around here, ie :Cat, Case, NH, Bobcat, Gehl, Volvo, JCB, etc ...Cat's are way to pricey for as me, as far as fixing them and buying them, plus, I like and want the longer wheel base. I didn't really like their wheeled loaders as much...Basically, in a nutshell I'm down to looking at a Bobcat or Case wheel loader..I need good lifting capacity, so been looking at the Case Sr220 or maybe the Case SR or SV250....and the Bobcats which are in that same range of 2200-2500lb lift capacity...enclosed cab...
I've had a some time behind the controls of my new SR220 and love it. Ground is still frozen so I really haven't had a chance to move dirt yet but soon I'll be pilling up the hours landscaping the new acreage. I agree with buying a piece of equipment that has a reputable dealer with a good parts and service dept. some of the repairs you can't always do you yourself. As for buying out of state or province you have to be sure that you add in the cost of fuel and travel expenses and if your working! the lost wages, on to the bottom lime. If it's less than 10% then maybe it's not worth the trip. Pictures if taken properly and clear can be a good resource but you can't beat actually seeing and running the machine. If you find a machine that looks good and is priced right maybe look for an independent mobile mechanic that could give you an unbiased opinion. God luck.
Just did a double check on my last post and I see I made a mistake in the model #. I purchased an SR200 not the SR220.
I have driven half way across the country, as well as purchased sight unseen, never had an issue. I like to talk to the seller... I think you can kind of get a feel from a phone conversation. I like to go north to buy during the winter... seems the slow time makes for some pretty good deals. uship.com works well for this sort of thing too.
Popisclepete.....good to hear your reviews on the machine...I was curious to find out your thoughts after you had gotten it. It definitely helps hearing from people on here in order to make my decisions. Glad it is an awesome machine!
Acivil....from what you posted on your experiences also, it sounds like quite a few do it and I shouldn't have as many fears as I first thought about it. Have the machines you bought been from independents or dealers?